Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed on taking with a grain of salt, but I've seen several bad reviews of this salt on the net, plus my Reef shop in Philly said this stuff is really light on the elements (Crystal Sea). No wonder the other salt is almost double the money! Probably worth it though, especially if I don't have to worry about balancing Ca & alk. I'll do some searches here to see what Brands of salt people are happy with in reefs.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

My moonlights arrive tomorrow...

I'm either going to leave them on all the time, or put them on for 2 hours after my main lights have gone off, and 2 hours before they come on again the next day. This would leave 7 hours of darkness in the tank.

Which should I do?

Old 10-15-2004, 03:25 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Freak

Up to you, I have a total of 4 hours darkness, but thats just me others have some sort of light on all the time?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:33 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve: I'm actually going to pour the old saltwater out of a jug, through the media baskets while stirring them up. That be ok?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whichever I choose - taking the baskets out of the filter then pouring the water through them while stirring by hand, or pouring the media balls out into a bowl with the saltwater in it and stirring by hand that way, as long as it's done quickly (30mins), even if the media balls are not covered in water and in the open air, will I not lose any bacteria at all?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, my filter has a wet/dry compartment with a sort of foam tube that floats up and down with the intake/output of water through the filter. I guess wet and dry bacterial colonies are living in there...

In the instructions, it says to open the compartment and lightly clean the foam tube with a soft sponge. If I do this (lightly clean it) and open the wet/dry compartment up, won't some (or all) of the wet/dry bacteria die in this compartment?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #127
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
Steve: I'm actually going to pour the old saltwater out of a jug, through the media baskets while stirring them up. That be ok?
Yes

Quote:
Whichever I choose - taking the baskets out of the filter then pouring the water through them while stirring by hand, or pouring the media balls out into a bowl with the saltwater in it and stirring by hand that way, as long as it's done quickly (30mins), even if the media balls are not covered in water and in the open air, will I not lose any bacteria at all?
The bacteria will be fine as long as the bioballs remain moist. They do not need to be submerged at all times. Extreme temp and pH swings will be the only thing to affect the bacteria otherwise.

Quote:
Also, my filter has a wet/dry compartment with a sort of foam tube that floats up and down with the intake/output of water through the filter. I guess wet and dry bacterial colonies are living in there...

In the instructions, it says to open the compartment and lightly clean the foam tube with a soft sponge. If I do this (lightly clean it) and open the wet/dry compartment up, won't some (or all) of the wet/dry bacteria die in this compartment?
The bacteria will be affected by wiping a smooth surface to some degree. If the chamber is anaerobic (which I doubt) it would also be affected just from opening it. You'll be able to tell if it's anaerobic as soon as you open it though. The smell of sulfur will be unmistakable. If no sulfur smell, your all good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I could just rinse the foam tube with aquarium water, like I'm going to do with the balls, and not wipe it?

So, re bioballs: as long as I'm quick (within 30mins so that the balls don't dry out) and use the old aquarium water straight away to rinse them, ie. before it's had chance to cool down much, I'll be ok?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #129
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I guess I could just rinse the foam tube with aquarium water, like I'm going to do with the balls, and not wipe it?
As I said, I did not know what the attached part contributes to the filtration so I am unsure what you should do. Is it just a simple foam prefilter for larger particles? Or something for denitrification?

Quote:
So, re bioballs: as long as I'm quick (within 30mins so that the balls don't dry out) and use the old aquarium water straight away to rinse them, ie. before it's had chance to cool down much, I'll be ok?
You should have plenty of time. It will take much longer than 30 min for something adverse to happen. Don't sweat it so much

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just cleaned it - there wasn't much detritus in the filter at all!

I've left the wet/dry for now though. I don't think it's just a foam prefilter...will find out before I do anything with it

Tags
coral, corals, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com