First corals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So basically if I put my hand in the tank at the front and can feel some water movement, we're all good?

I wouldn't exactly describe my flow as "chaotic" though!

Do you think I'd be able to keep a clam in my tank, considering my new lighting (2 x 39w white T5s and 2 x 39w actinic T5s)? If I can, would probably get him bigger (4") so I don't have to target feed.

Can they cause any problems in tanks, either with the inhabitants or the water chemistry?

MarkW19 said:
So basically if I put my hand in the tank at the front and can feel some water movement, we're all good?
For the most part yes.

I wouldn't exactly describe my flow as "chaotic" though!
As long as the flow isn't circular, your good.

Do you think I'd be able to keep a clam in my tank, considering my new lighting (2 x 39w white T5s and 2 x 39w actinic T5s)? If I can, would probably get him bigger (4") so I don't have to target feed.
Anything over 3" shouldn't need much in the way of feeding dependant on species. As far as you getting a clam you might be able to get away with a Durasa or Squamosa. They are no where as color intense as Maxima or Crocea but they definately have their charm.

Can they cause any problems in tanks, either with the inhabitants or the water chemistry?
Your chemistry demands may not be kept in check with a clam and just water changes. In a smaller tank the chem demand will increase and possible need the addition of a 2 part alk/Ca or kalk. As long as you are mindful of what fish you choose (no angels) it should co-exist fine with what you've chosen so far. In fact you shouldn't have problems with clams and other coral much at all.

Cheers
Steve

MarkW19 said:
And, 2000 views!!! :p
On that note....

I think you should start different posts for these various questions. Changing topics so many times with multiple pages makes using this thread as a reference for others quite impossible. Try to stay on topic in future and if the topic changes, begin a new thread :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Quick question Steve: with the corals hardly adding anything to the bioload, if anything, there's no chance of ammonia etc. if all 6 corals are introduced at once?

As long as all the corals are healthy, there's no reason the levels should change. Just be sure you avoid adding the LFS water where possible.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, I won't be adding any bag water.

Of course, if I added 6 fish at once (or even 2!) then my ammonia is more than likely to go through the roof.

I guess the same isn't true for the corals then as they won't take up much bioload at all. Except of course if they all die :p

Anything that creates waste adds to the biload. Since none of the corals your adding really requires any feedings, they will not add to the bioload. In that regard, you would be the contributor, not the corals. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Do you think I particularly need a lot more baserock?

As the corals won't add any extra bioload, I don't suppose it matters, as long as there's actually a bit of rock for them to attach to? Thinking of just adding a bit more rock, so I don't crowd my tank with it!

As long as you don't add much in the way of fish that would be fne. Without the added rock, waste producing animals should be limited much more than if you had a better amount of rock.

Cheers
Steve

So, without the extra rock, would you not put the last 2 fish in (royal gramma/coral beauty) along with my ocellaris clown/banggai cardinal?

Back
Top Bottom