Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

He looks perfect to me. A lot of times early in the day or late at night, or even if its especially cloudy, fish will lose almost all their color while they rest as a survival technique to make them blend into rock and sand.

Sweet looking pufferfish! obviously you know that puffing for them is very stressful and should be avoided when possible. I would guess it is your camera flash that did it. Cool none the less though!

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

He was puffed before I took the pic. I think sometimes he sees his reflection and thinks its another puffer. Like I said this is only like the second or third time he has done it. Not sure what causes him to freak. He has grown over an inch since I got him 2 months ago. He is now got to be at least 6 or 7 inches. He is sooo tame he lets us pet his nose and eats right out of my hand. When he is hungry and I open the lid he will actually squirt water out of the tank. never does it when the lid is closed, it is a hoot.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Our porcupine did a lot of the same things. They are such personable fish, so enjoyable.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like Jimbo stated, fish change color as a defensive mode to blend in with the area they are in. It is also a sign of stress. He looks good and as long as he is eating I see no big problem. Cool Puffer...could the puffer be stressing out the Goby?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Not sure how long you have had him but i will toss out an idea. Many fish will change color depending on if there is a mate around. If your fish was among many females in the wild he would have bright vibrent colors as a sexual display. Over time some fish will fade thier colors when not in the presence of the opposite sex. Flasher wrasse are a prime example of this.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

The puffer and goby are in two different tanks. The goby is the only fish in my invert tank. Just crabs a candycane shrimp and feather dusters.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Generally two things come to mind when people refer to fish colour loss:

1. Diet: Poor nutritional values and less than ideal foods
2. Stress: Fish often change colour dependant on mood. Scared, angry etc

What can you do?

Diet: Offer a wide variety of foods (Freshwater mysid? I would offer foods that they may encounter in the wild. Brine shrimp also has little to no value for the fish. Try a DIY mix or a quality pellet.

Stress: Not alot, if it is another tank mate causing the stress possibly look at removing it. Other than that, you may find one day he will be as colourful as any other.
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was told PE mysis was one of the best foods I could feed. All of my fish are carnevours. I also thought that brine shrimp with vitamins was good for them. I dont have any flake food and have never been instructed to buy any. I also buy them 1 piece of fresh scallop every week. They absolutley love it. They also get the occasional snail to help keep there teeth ground down. (fyi this is in my big tank) I guess I could try flake food in my invert tank never thought of it or maybe the pellets Thanks for the advice!

Tags
color

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com