Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anenome is shriveling....

My Anenome is about 2 weeks old and was looking great until 2 days ago...

It dettached itself from the live rock and started to shrivel. My clown is still trying to rub himself on the anenome, but the anenome continues to get worse. I see some movement, but not much....

Also, I've seen a few entries stating that you need to feed Anenomes... Is this true? If so, what? I've been to 2 local fish stores and neither store has offered anything worthwhile.

I'm not sure of the name of the anenome; however, it is white with purple tips.

It's still detached and not looking good... Please help. All of my fish look still look great (except for a small hermit crab that died last night).

I've had this 38 gal tank setup for about 1 year... but I still consider myself an extreme newbie when it comes to my tank.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as feeding check out this thread where it is bing discussed:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=38638

As for the other stuff not sure, can you post a pic. Sounds like you are describing a condy or Hatian pink tip, but these usually do not host with a clown as you describe.

It is not uncommon for anenome to get real small and then expand. If it has detached is may just not be happy with current location and trying to move which they will frequently do.

To be safe I would check all water parameters and verify all is well. Then try direct feeding 1-2 times a week.

Keep us posted, with pics is possible.
Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what is your lighting setup?

steve r
Old 12-14-2004, 04:11 PM   #4

Coral Life (PC) 10,000k (2 day-light, 2 night-light, 2 other light... each set at 96 Watt.

How can I send pics? I uploaded them, but they are pending approval.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am confused how many lights or total watts do you have?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #6

96 watt twin tube 10,000k -- white
96 watt twin tube Atinic -- blue
Old 12-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does it look like this (notice the shorter tentacles) or like this. The sabae is, IME, very difficult to take care of. If you have a sabae it might be dying. I have a sabae and it did the same thing for a while I just kept trying to feed it and it moved like 20 different times and now has decieded to make home in the very back of the tank behind all the LR. Only way I can see it is to stand at just the right angle on the side of the tank. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to drop tentacles AND "melt" away, get it out of the tank. It is dying and can release toxins in the water. Also, someone told me that Anemones "deflate" to take in new fresh water. My BTAs will deflate every couple of days for a couple of hours and then they get bigger than ever. I found that Anemones like meaty food also. So shrimp, anything meaty and add vitamins to the mix also. Try to keep the clown away from it (yeah right). My BTA went through a bad phase when I first got it and my clown was so rough with it that she ripped a hole in the base and would pull off its tentacles. It finally recovered and I have had it for two yrs and in three different tanks and has split twice since. So there is hope. Just keep trying to give it food and vitamins (selcon). Good luck. keep us posted. Sorry this is so long.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Old 12-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #9

I'm freaking... It's not looking good.

All I have is frozen brine shrimp, so I just fed my fish and put some by the tentacles of the Anenome... it looked like the shrimp just floated off of it though (but the other fish are happy). I'm clueless on feeding them... any advice on how to get the food to the Anenome?

Also, the picture did look like my Anenome (except that mine has purple tips).

Thanks for all of your help !!!
Old 12-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

which picture. The first or second

Tags
anenome, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com