Formalin vs. F/W dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently had a small outbreak of ich in my fish-only tank. And just when I thought my copper treatment was ridding the outbreak, I see the signs returning via white spots on my puffers fins/tail (who is one week new in the community, and has been moved to quarantine at first sign of the spots).

While I will continue with the copper (only a snowflake eel and tomato clown remain), does anyone recommend Formalin baths for the puffer? Or would FreshWater dips be just as effective (and safer)?

salty27 said:
I recently had a small outbreak of ich in my fish-only tank. And just when I thought my copper treatment was ridding the outbreak, I see the signs returning via white spots on my puffers fins/tail (who is one week new in the community, and has been moved to quarantine at first sign of the spots).
How long was the treatment running prior to adding the puffer?
What kind/brand of copper med are you using?
What level does the copper register in the tank?
How often are you monitoring/testing the copper concentration?

While I will continue with the copper (only a snowflake eel and tomato clown remain)
Eels are extremely sensitive to copper meds. This is definately not a wise direction to take.

does anyone recommend Formalin baths for the puffer? Or would FreshWater dips be just as effective (and safer)?
Neither if you have a proper QT. Formalin is not consistantly effective (if at all) and there are much better less stressful ways to go about this. FW dips will not affect a cure for C. irritans.

Is the QT cycled?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom