Foxface bad eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks. I am trying to get some sort of an idea on possible determinations on the left eye of a Foxface that I came very close to purchasing at my LFS. It is a large one and moves about fine, LFS says he's eating and he is really a good price but here's the rub. His left eye is very cloudy and my LFS siad yes he had noticed it but did not know why it was that way. I would hate to get him home and find he has some awful disease. However, if it is some injury that will heal or he can live through without much problem then I would not mind adding him to my tank. I have nothing that would harm him in there and I think he would like it....he sure was pretty. Any ideas on what could be the problem...??Thanks in advance I appreciate the help and so will he!!

Could either be physical trauma or bacterial. Is this animal in qt? Keep up on the water changes and give proper nutrition for a week or two and see how the eye progresses. If the condition gets worse within that time you can treat with Nitrofurazone or Minocycline.

Well, he's at the LFS but he's alone in the tank. I have read it can be anything from bacterial, trauma, dietary or poor water conditions...So I think I will check back and see if there has been any change. Thanks for the reply!

I would wait a week or so and see if he improves at the store.

My guess is it`s bacterial. I probably would not get him in that condition. Sometimes excellent water conditions will cure it but as James said after a week or two he`ll need to be treated.

The best thing for that fish is daily 20% water changes for a week to see if pristine conditions help it heal on it's own. It might need medication if it's a bacterial infection. As it's at the lfs, you can't nurse it back to health. Just keep checking on it and hope they take care if it. For $5.00 I would take a chance on putting it into QT and nursing it back to health. Otherwise let the lfs deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom