Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good Reason For Ro Unit

Just to pass a little advice on to some of the newbies such as myself, as you may have read in the sick fish section I have a case of Velvet and I'm not out of the woods yet but without a Rodi unit on hand for water changes and xtra water for the qt tank I would have lost every fish i had, not saying I still wont but at least I have a shot of curing them and without a ro unit they would all allready be dead. I have used 60 gallons today alone and a lot more needed in the next few weeks. This happened to me on a sunday night when all stores were closed and today was a holiday with most stores closed. Without a unit I would have had no water today. Something to think about for the future and believe me when i say this can and probably will at some point happen to you. I hope it doesnt but you never know.

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
When I had my "massive feeding incident" I went through 30-90g a day for 2 weeks. We didn't have our RO/DI unit yet and there was no way I was getting to the LFS every day so we ended up using tap until we got through the ammo. We have our RO/DI now and have begun changing over the water ever so slowly to RO/DI. I'll be glad when all of the tap is out of the system again, but there was no other way. I would second the idea of an RO/DI and a bucket of salt (or 1/2 your tank in RO/DI on hand and salt, JIC). You just never know when you're going to need it.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Very good point thumper!!
I'm sure you will win your battle.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
*Sigh* If your new and reading this, don't panic you do not need an RO unit to cure your fish.. Tap Water with a water conditioner is fine... RO water has no curing properties and will do no such miracles in saving your fish if in the event they are sick... QT with regular water changes.. And proper treatments should be fine..

ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com