GSP's not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My GSP's are currently closed and have been like that for the past two days. I have a feeling they are in trouble. Last Wednesday, I noticed that only half of them were open. They remained like that (half open/half closed), until Sunday when they did not open at all. I have run some tests and the results were normal:
amm: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5 (unreadable)
dKh: 8
cal: 440
phos: less than 0.05 (unreadable)
ph: 8.2 (does the daily fluctuation, starts at around 7.9 then levels off at 8.2 at lights out)
salinity: 1.026 on the refract

All my other corals are open and happy. I have started running some carbon in a reactor to see if maybe there is something in the water that may be upsetting them but I wasn't sure if there is another possible explanation.

how long have they been where they are now? any new additions like lighting (new fixture, changing bulbs recently) or power heads redirected or added lately?

They have been in the location around 2 months, and I haven't changed anything mechanically since I reaquascaped the tank around a month and a half ago. The wife cut my funding so there hasn't been any new items put in.

Do you have any flow in the tank? What fish are in your tank? Could you possibly have asternia starfish that are eating them

I don't know what it could be either. The only starfish I have is a black banded brittle star, but he stays in the rocks on the other side of the tank most of the time and I keep him well fed with pellets and the occasional shrimp on a stick. I've read on another site that it may actually be a case of my water being too clean. Apparently, some think that they may prefer dirtier water with more nutrients in the water column. Also, I've read a few posts on reefcentral where some people were saying that their peppermint shrimp were eating them.

it's not the brittle. that much i know.
i'm not sure i go along with the "clean water" theory. they give that theory any time they can't figure out the issue...lol.
i'll tell you one thing- they said the same about the sudden die off of xenia, and i had a mass die off after a few years of growth. i assure you, my water was NOT too clean.

Well essentialy if you have peppermint shrimp they shouldn't eat them they are 100%reef safe but there is another shrimp that has a darker color red and a bigger hump on the back and it is a camelback shrimp which are sold as peppermint shrimp but they are not reef safe.

Well, guess I will just the carbon do it's thing and see if it helps. Given GSP's nature of spreading everywhere, this may be a blessing in disguise.

Update: They didn't open yesterday either. I am noticing that the purple encrusting parts are starting to turn a redish brown. I think they are dead.

I am glad I gave them more time. They are open again and look fine. I still have no idea why they were closed but I won't question a Christmas miracle!

Back
Top Bottom