Help...Anemones???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently put a Haitian Reef Anemone in my tank on a high shelf near a 96-watt light in a 35 gallon hex tank. He died after a day and a half and I'm not sure why.
My ph is 8.4
nitrite-.25
ammonia-.25
nitrate about 10
salinty-1.023

Please help if you can...thanks

Man im goin through the same thing except with a different anenome

sorry bout ur loss

Mr. Marine

First off you should have no nitrite or ammonia, although these could be elevated due to the death. And second, are you sure its dead, anemones will close up if stressed or just for the heck of it sometimes. Did you acclimate it slowly to your tank?

Mine seem to go through cycles, fairly open and looking good and then it shrinks up and looks awful. It seems to be expelling waste. Then it goes back to looking good. (It hasn't looked great for a little while since when I first got it). Is this normal?

The levels I test for are excellent. Nitrates and Nitrites and Ammonia at 0 or extremely close to it. My salinity is at 1.022 and my Ph was a little low and I'm trying to bring it up (it was low because the tester I was using (dip strips) falsely didn't give me much concern).

How old are the tanks? Generally people don''t have much luck in a tank that hasn't been cycled and problem free for at least a year or so. Also a lot of anemones get damaged while the are "harvested". Their feet get ripped and they can't properly attach. Or another reason is that the bacteria (can't remember the name) that helps them process food gets killed off due to lack of light in shipping or at the LFS. This is certain death for these guys.

I just added a 32 watt pc to my nano and it looks better almost instantly. He has been better in the past, but I'm planning on upgrading the stock 24 to a 32. I'm just glad he looks a lot better now.

Back
Top Bottom