Help i think my Leather Coral is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

For a newly added coral this can often be the case. Leathers will close up and go dormant for a bit as they adjust. It is a process refered to as sloughing in which the leather will end up shedding and "renew" itself. Should be back to normal in a few days or week sometimes.

I would suggest listing some specs on the tank with water paramaters to be sure nothings amiss there. Even though this can be a normal occurance, no need to take chances.

Cheers
Steve

My tank is a 45 Gallon, I have 40lbs of live sand, 45lbs of Live rock, Temp is 75 to 78 F, SG is 1.025, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 0

thanks

yeah I have the same tank, and I have a leather that did the same thing.. now its starting to adjust.. this being 4 weeks afer I got it :p

All looks fine so as I said, it is most likely just adjusting to it's new home. The only part that is a bit of a concern is the temp.

daniel5455 said:
Temp is 75 to 78 F
That much of a daily fluctuation will cause stress in your animals. If the lighting is what's elevating the temp during the day, raise the heater setting to match it. 78-80° for reef animals will produce less stress but the key is moreso stability.

How's the ph and other chem?

Cheers
Steve

FWIW I keep my temp from 80-82f and never had an issue with anything..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom