Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help! Ick? On regal tang.

Thursday I just got this tang from a person who was selling their tank. She been in his tank for a year. He had no problems. His parameters were same as mine so I acclimated and added to my tank.

Yesterday just noticed some white marks near the tail on black body area. It's not raised skin it's just white spots. I tried to take the pic if u look closely u can see them.

What should I do?

My tank parameters are;
ammonia and nitrite- 0, nitrate-15
(water change overdue)
Temp-78, salinity- 1.026,
Also been running a uv sterilizer for 2 weeks. On at day off at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-167780694.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	66246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3277355609.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	66247  

Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a qt tank set up? How big is the tank that hes in right now? What other fish are in that tank?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do have a 10 gallon tank I can use as qt. right now in 50g tank. With yellow tang, royal gramma, and 2 clowns fish. I did see a bit of tail fighting with yellow tang for first day but now only at feeding time.

(I am in the process of setting up my 90 gallon tank. Picking up the stand on Tuesday to start setup.)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya that isnt good. If a 90 gallon is as big as you can go then thats a problem. Blue tangs need a 180 gallon aquarium and yellow tangs need at least a 100 gallon. Is your blue tang full size?

That is why you have ich. Blue tangs get ich very easily as it is, and cramming him into a tiny tank isnt helping.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Ya that isnt good. If a 90 gallon is as big as you can go then thats a problem. Blue tangs need a 180 gallon aquarium and uellow tangs need at least a 100 gallon. Os your blue tang full size?

That is why you have ich. Blue tangs get ich very easily as it is, and cramming him into a tiny tang isnt helping.

I have to agree. the 50g tank is not helping the situation at all. Blue tangs get ich at the drop of a hat it seems and lots of times it has to do with tank size. They require a 6 foot tank to be happy and healthy. The yellow might be ok in a 90g, not the choice I would make but it can probably be done.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks more to me like velvet than ick.

The tang is 5". The person i got it from had it in 60 gallon for 1.5 yrs. No prob he said.

Anyways. Advice taken the blue tang has to go.
I will post it on craigslist and ask lfs.
But I don't think anyone would want him while he is sick.

I would like to keep yellow tang but if you guys feel she has to go too. Than I guess has to go too.

What else can I keep in 90g than.

So what do I do now. How do i cure the fish and make sure it's gone from Tank.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Velvet will move and kill a lot faster than ich ..
You will have to give all your fish a formalin bath ASAP..don't wait to long to do this
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Velvet will move and kill a lot faster than ich ..
You will have to give all your fish a formalin bath ASAP..don't wait to long to do this
Where do I get formalin from?
For all the fish?

And after the bath should I put them all in qt or back in the tank?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most LFS's will have it...not the chain stores ,,they usually only sell the 3% stuff..You'll need the 37% formaldehyde solution...I have used stuff called quick cure before and it worked great...The fish will have to go into a QT not the DT...your DT is infected now..Whichever it is (ick or velvet) will have to starve and die ..No fish means no host ,,so 6 weeks fallow is best ...So many people don't do this and the end result is a constant battle with said diseases ...I did a fallow tank 6 years ago and never had a single issue since ..Good QT is key in keeping disease out of your DT for good..
Good luck and follow the directions on the quick cure bottle and your fish should be fine
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Most LFS's will have it...not the chain stores ,,they usually only sell the 3% stuff..You'll need the 37% formaldehyde solution...I have used stuff called quick cure before and it worked great...The fish will have to go into a QT not the DT...your DT is infected now..Whichever it is (ick or velvet) will have to starve and die ..No fish means no host ,,so 6 weeks fallow is best ...So many people don't do this and the end result is a constant battle with said diseases ...I did a fallow tank 6 years ago and never had a single issue since ..Good QT is key in keeping disease out of your DT for good..
Good luck and follow the directions on the quick cure bottle and your fish should be fine
Thanks so much. I will try going to lfs now.

Tags
ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com