Help? Proper procedure for Freshwater dips.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a yellow tang with a bad case of either ich or marine velvet. Can i give him a freshwater dip just to releve the parasite temproarlly. I have to get set up for a big Quarantine for all my fish in a few days. If yes, what is the best way to do it. Im afraid i may kill him. Thanks.

Match the temp and the ph to his tank water, thats the most important thing. You can then put him in for 5 minutes or so as long as he does not get stressed. Signs of stress are, spitting water or trying to jump out of the bucket. Don't get nervous if he just lies there, that is normal.

bad news. The tang dident make it. I had him in for 5 mins, temp and ph the same. But when i put him back in the tank, all his slime came off and he went to the bottom for a while and that was it. gone. :cry:

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear it. :( Your sure the ph was the same? Was he stressing? How are the other fish.
I was once told that if a fish doesn't make it through a fw dip, they are probably too sick to make at all.
I'm so sorry, I know how you feel, I lost a Yellow Tang to velvet.
Get the others out to qt as soon as you can.
PS, not to scare you, but if its Velvet, move fast. I lost 3 fish to it within 24 hrs.

yea, maybe thats what it was. He looked fine before i took him out, but he was breating fast and really darting around. I added some buffer to raise the ph, thats all i had here for it. Oh well.

Breathing fast and darting sound normal IMO. hmm, not sure.
Keep with the plan and save the others is what I would do now.

What is velvet??????????????? What does it look like? does it make it look like the fish has lost its color??? that is what is happening to all of my fish but they do not have ich

RubixCube said:
how much buffer would add to 5 gallons of water to match?
Depends on what the original number was first but it would be very little. Less than 1/16th tspn. You would also need to let the water sit for a few hours before using it. The initial buffer addition would spike the ph slightly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom