HELP!! Something is eating my coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. This is a bit strange. I have a digitata that just suddenly in the last 2 days started, well I don't know what is going on with it. It looks like a crown of thorwns starfish is eating it. Look at the pic here and see what you think. It's not happening to any of the other corals just this one.

Any ideas???

***********UPDATE*****************
Ok, I got an ID on what is happening to the coral and I think I have figured out what caused it. This coral is suffering from RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis), a few days ago my SCWD crapped out on me and it was flowing in only one direction and caused a sand storm that covered this corals base up. Apparently this prevented the coral from aspirating and could have led to the RTN. Either way I am going to pull the coral out and frag off the good parts and hope for the best.

I am going to do a PWC and I have activated carbon running on the system just as precautions.

Just thought I would let you know what I found out...

For safety sake, I would remove this coral and place in quarantine, once fragged, with carbon and filter media (pads, floss, sock, etc). The shutdown reaction can trigger other corals to follow in suit. Remember to frag above the "dead-line" and IME glue the bottom so infection cannot set in further. If the newly fragged pieces continue degenerating then an iodine dip may help.

Back
Top Bottom