Help with Purple Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i had a case of black ick on my yellow tang which caused me to quarantine all my fish. I gave all the fish formalin baths before putting them in the quarantine. After they were in the quarantine tank they did not show any more black spots, but a few weeks later i got a bad case of marine ick and i ended up losing three fish. The purple firefish survive the whole thing and i never noticed white spots on it.
I didn't have a quarantine tank at first and i had to deal with ammonia and nitrite problems until the tank cycled (most of the fish made it through until i got the ick).

The firefish started scratching himself in objects in the tank, specially when he ate. during the ick attack i woke up one day and found that he had a hole on the side of his body almost near his tail. He also had split fins/eating away fins (side fins, upper, lower, and tail).
I treated the tank with cupramine and it worked well. All the fish got rid of the ich, but i firefish still didn't fully heal the cut, and he developed while slim on his body which i think was caused from all the scratching that he was doing.

I moved all the fish except for the firefish back to the display about 2 weeks ago and i started treating the firefish with melafix a week ago. The slim got better, but i don't konw if it truly disappered, but his fins grew back for the most part. Today i noticed that when i fed him he started scratching himself on the sections of PVC. His stomach seems swollen at times but i think it might be all the food that he eats.

The fish eats very well and all types of food, it swims in the middle of the tank all the long as long as the light is on, and there are no other signs of any problems beside the flashing. Any ideas on what it might be?

ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates were at 20 yesterday but i did a 50 percent water change on the 10 gallon quarantine. There is one more fish in the tank, a potters angel that i got three days ago.

Every time you add a new fish to your QT tank you extend the time you have to leave the other fish in the QT. If the Potter has ich and you put the firefish back into the DT before completing treatment or isolation of the potter the firefish will bring the ich into the DT as he could be a carrier or Host.

yeah i know and i am planning on leaving the firefish there until i know that it is curse of whatever it has. The problem is that i don't know what it has since i am not completely sure that it is ick. I haven't seen any white spots, and for what i have been reading, there are a lot of things that could make a fish "flash", while experiencing slim, and an actually hole that has not healed completely but it's an open wound anymore either.

This is the best i can get. The healing wound that it has was a hole near the tail. I don't konw if you can tell. I can't really get a clear picture of it.

But the potter's angel started flashing as well and i saw white spots on it so i started cupramine treatment yesterday.

Attachments

• Firefish.JPG
    Firefish.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom