Hippo tang with hlle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im not 100% sure that he has hlle. Im just wondering. He is in a 75 gallon tank with 1 yellow tang, one flame angel, a firefish, 2 clowns, a lemarks angel, and 5 chromis. I feed new life spectrum marine formula about twice daily. I put in a 3x3 sheet of green omega one nori once a week and i feed a cube of mysis once a week, i also try and feed enrinched brine as well. The first pick is my hippo, its cery hard to take a pic of him, the second is one i found online that looks identical to him. The round scales around his eye have a little discolored brown ones and around his eye he has a area of brown.

Attachments

• image-3643348995.jpg
    image-3643348995.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2818598587.jpg
    image-2818598587.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 490
What are the parameters of the tank? Hard to tell from the pics, but HLLE actually looks like the skin is disappearing and pitted. Sometimes in the face, but then it will extend down the lateral line of the fish to the tail. That's a lot of fish for a 75 gallon, and I personally don't like seeing tangs in anything less than a 6' tank. Hippo tangs should get huge. He should have algae sheets & mysis daily, not once a week.

Ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Phosphate - low

Ph - normal

No parameters are out of whack, ive had the tang for about 9 months and just noticed it starting to appear.

I agree that those Tangs are not going to do well in a 75g.

Stress, poor nutrition, and/or poor water quality are the usual suspects. Its only found in aquariums, not in the wild. Activated carbon in filters was shown to be a cause in one study too (something about possibly removing necessary trace elements that some fish need). At the very least, those Tangs will have the stress factor.

Eliminate stress, improve nutrition, remove carbon (if using) and maintain pristine water conditions are the "cures", depending on what the cause is. Adding supplemental vitamins is supposed to help once the cause is removed.

Back
Top Bottom