I need help now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweeper16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went out of town for a week and left my tank in the care of one of my family members, I come back today and my tank is half full and algae is growing everywhere. There is two clown fish, two turbo snails, and three red legged hermit crabs it is a 20 gallon tank and all has been great besides now. Ive had the tank for about 6 months now and I just don't know what to do. salinity levels are about 1.29 and nothing else will even register on the equipment I have. The clown fish are laying at the bottom of the tank barely alive which is surpriseing but I fear they havnt eaten in days since my family member just threw in large shrimp whole. I just need somebody to give me a miricale on how to save them. please help

1.029 is close to lethal to fish and inverts. Unfortunately you cant just add the evaporated water back because that would shock the fish as well. But you do need to bring it down quickly. I'd mix up a batch of about 1.025 water and add it to lower you salinity to a safer, but still high level and dilute the nitrogens in the tank. You may have lost all your BB as well.
Then daily significant WC until your salinity is 1.026 or below. Watch amm and trites as well as they may be elevated.

Went out of town for a week and left my tank in the care of one of my family members, I come back today and my tank is half full and algae is growing everywhere. There is two clown fish, two turbo snails, and three red legged hermit crabs it is a 20 gallon tank and all has been great besides now. Ive had the tank for about 6 months now and I just don't know what to do. salinity levels are about 1.29 and nothing else will even register on the equipment I have. The clown fish are laying at the bottom of the tank barely alive which is surpriseing but I fear they havnt eaten in days since my family member just threw in large shrimp whole. I just need somebody to give me a miricale on how to save them. please help

Short term it's not a major concern. It's off by less than 10%. Just bring it down slowly, over the period of a week will probably do. Just remove a bit of the water each day and replace with RO/DI. 9 days of replacing 1% of the water volume will drop it to normal 35 ppt levels (sg = 1.0264). 4-5 days of replacing 2% will get to the same point... I'd be more concerned with what the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc. are at..

P.S- an ATO is probably one of the most valued, under mentioned tools in keeping a saltwater aquarium. The ATO is probably the most important piece of equipment I purchased in this "hobby".. Salinity levels go up through evaporation, the water evaps, the salt stays, An ATO will prevent that by replacing the evaporated water, thus keeping your salt levels constant.. I'd highly suggest looking into getting one..

Frank..

whats next

I started the water changes, I've found two hermit crabs dead and the female clown fish isn't looking so hot. Shes staying in the same spot on the bottom of the tank panting almost. its this normal or should I move her over to a hospital tank. also what can I do about all the algae it looks almost like black hair growing on my sand and live rock.

I started the water changes, I've found two hermit crabs dead and the female clown fish isn't looking so hot. Shes staying in the same spot on the bottom of the tank panting almost. its this normal or should I move her over to a hospital tank. also what can I do about all the algae it looks almost like black hair growing on my sand and live rock.

If you have a QT you can move her there, provided the salinity is within range of the DT salinity level, no drastic change in salinity is imperative. Also, the stress of trying to fish her out and move her to a QT may do more harm than good.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom