Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ich?

i just noticed 4 little white spots on my tang. they weren't there yesterday. can it be ich even though i haven't introduced anything new into my tank except saltwater from the lfs when i did a water change? this might sound crazy but is there any possibility it could be those little spiral things that usually stick to the glass. i've got them everywhere including on my snails. i think i may be getting them from the ready to use saltwater because they definatley get worse after a water change.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

those spiral things are pods i think if i were you id watch out and get your qt ready

Mr. Marine

mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually, those spiral things are called spirorbidae worms. They are a filter feeding worm that lives in a spiral shaped calcareous tube.

Pods look like little shrimp...

Spirorbidae worms are completely harmless... and they don't attach to fish. The white spots on your tang could be ich or some other type of disease/parasite. Keep a close watch and have a QT ready just in case.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have experienced that having your temperature @ 80 or above can cause the fish to get white spots on them. After i got my temp down, they spots dissaperaed.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes keep a close watch, even if they disappear. Ich works in a cycle, they may disappear and show up a couple days later in greater numbers. If this happens, get ready to treat is a separate qt tanks with hyposalinity or with a copper compound like cupramine. Keep us posted. many of us have been through a parasitic outbreak.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I went to Wal-Mart the other day and I saw something that was called "ich-away"or "ick-gone" or something along those lines...it was like a seltzer type pill you put in the tank and it said it takes care of ich fast...does it really work? That seems too easy, if it does work why doesn't everybody get it!?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Don't bother. The only effective treatments are to treat with hyposalinity or a good copper compound in a separate qt tank. Any medicine that is advertised to be used in the main is worthless.
A lot of people buy it because they don't know at the time that it doesn't work.
Lets put it this way. Any med that is strong enough to kill ich, will kill all your inverts, live rock and sand.
Good luck
Old 04-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I would probably agree with you on that one, especially for the more difficult to kill diseases...but Melafix and Greenex can both be used in the main tank. Although Melafix has a wide variety of uses, Greenex prevents and treats parasties without harming your inverts.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Greenex works well, i have used that before. I have heard alot of people using it with success.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

just got some "kick ich" hope it works

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com