Ich and my dilemma. Figure this one out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
He is the deal. My fish have ich. A yellow tang, a spiny boxfish, a percula clown and soon im guessing my butterfly, I have a goby but don’t know if he has it. No, how do I get rid of it? I know I can take the fish out, soak em in copper. But the second I put them back in the tank they are going to pick it up again.

So. How can I get around this? Put them all in separate tanks? If yes, where would I be able to get the water that has already cycled? I can’t imagine doing water changes for 4 weeks. I’m at a loss. 8O

If you dont have any inverts to worry about then you could use hypo salinity. When you say butterfly are you reffering to the CB? I thought he died?? Anyways I hope they pull through.

Yes, put them is a separate tank to treat. The main need to be void of fish hosts for 4, or better yet 6 week to allow the parasites to go through their life cycle and dye off.
A separate tank is a better place to treat. Hypo or copper in the main will kill off things that you don't want to kill.
Well aged fresh saltwater will do for the qt tank. You will just need to do frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite down. Also get a large enough tank to hold all of these fish, or several smaller ones. Did your sick butterfly bring it in?

Ok, thats what im going to have to do. Yes, i told the guy about the butterfly and he gave me another one. this one is doing much better.

this one is doing much better.

except he probably brought ich :(

thats a lot of fish to put in a sm qt together...I'd look at moving any inverts and doing hyposalinity to the display tank (to avoid maybe loosing one of those valuable fish)

Search google or whatever for an article on "crypto" aka marine ich by Steve Pro. It is a tremendously info packed article and I think that would give you the info you truley need. Much of it is the same you are getting here but also gives you a little bit more detail.

Doan

RubixCube said:
dont think hypo would work realy.

Actually hypo has been proven to work....it's worked for me twice and countless others. Here's a link if you want to read more on it >>HYPO<< It is far less stressful on the fish than copper!

Yes, but why in the main? Why not a qt tank? Much better control and would not kill anything else. I wouldn't advise treating anything in the main.

1 less stress in moving and congestion of qt
2 more stable sq and other water parameters in larger display
3 don't have to leave tank fallow for 4+ weeks
4 can put inverts, corals in qt filled with display tank water
5 nothing toxic is used

Back
Top Bottom