ich on firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be how it is done. An extra air pump would also help; I prefer just rigid tubing over an airstone to eliminate salt spray.

When the waters splashes up on stuff the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind and makes a big mess. least thats what i always thought it was

o i see thanks pat so heres what i got:
1.start up quarentine tank
2.put firefish and yasha in
3.treat firefish for ich and let yasha qt
4.do 25%daily water changes
5.allow main tank to lay fallow for 7weeks

Just as Pat mentioned, airstones release microbubbles that float to the surface and burst causing liquid to saturate covers where precipitation occurs leaving just the salt (precipitate).

Seems like a good plan to me. Just make sure you keep an eye on your levels. they make additives that help to keep ammonia nitrite and nitrate down that may help you if your having problems.

The basis is to prevent NH3 from forming so other than pH, temp, and salinity you should be good. Keep us posted.

fire fish died this morning...i woke up and it was stuck on the filter i wasnt too happy seeing as today i was about to get the ich treatment and things...but im leavin the main tank alone...the yasha will be in the qt but do i really have to add water from my main tank into the qt bc im afraid there might be some ich hitchhikers

Make sure to keep your main tank with no fish in it for at least 8-weeks. I don't think I would want to put water that for sure has ich in it into a new QT with a fish that probably does not have ich.
I hate to say it, but it would be way less work if you set up QT now. Start to cycle the QT leave it be for 4-weeks. Then at 4 weeks buy the yasha goby and another firefish if yo want, put it into the QT. Then keep it in the QT for another 4-weeks. And by this time (8-weeks later) your main tank will be ready again. Then put the goby into the main tank. Make sure to feed the tank, while it is fallow, flake food or something to keep a source of ammonia, to keep your bio filter in check. When I left my main tank fallow I just fed the shrimp and nassarius snails pellets and that was good enough.

now am i suppose to put pvc pipes for hiding or live sand?and will it be ok if i start the qt now and pick the yasha 2 days later?

No sand in the QT, yes definitely get pvc for the fish to hide in. It would be better as I mentioned above, to set up the QT and cycle it the correct way, which will take about 4-weeks. After the QT cycle then get the Yashia Goby. But if you want the goby now, then go ahead but it is going to be a ton of work because you are going to have to do daily partial water changes for the next 4+ weeks. Below is a picture of my QT where you can kind of see the type of PVC that I bought at Home Depot. All I have in my QT is the 2-pieces of PVC, heater, HOB filter and thermometer.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 55
ok so no sand i have two HOB 10gall no carbon just floss running in a 10gallon tank and a heater and i have to go buy some pvc pipes but other than that i seem fine right? and for the parital water changes how much should i do? 25%?

Last edited:
Roughly 25% everyday if you get the Goby now. It all depends on what your water tests say. It would be better to get the Goby in 4weeks

well i know it would be better but the LFS says its hard for them to get the goby in they only get one every other year lol sooo i wanted to take the chance

Get the QT set up with fresh SW. Get the filters started. Add your goby and be ready to do PWC twice a day. 10-20 % in the am and the same in the pm to keep water parameters liveable. It will take a week or two for the filters to start building up bacteria. In about two weeks you should be able to get away with a single daily pwc. If you feed lightly and check the water parameters several times a day you will get a feel for how often you need to do a pwc. The larger the water volume the less pwcs need to be done. With a small water volume you need to do them more often.

Also have some Amquel+ on hand in case of emergencies. It is a Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate nuetralizer which saves me everyday on my 10gallon QT. I have a 4" Tang in there and the twice a day 10-20% pwc is not enough. Your goby will be less of a bio load, which is good.

since cmor said something about my bacteria building up does that mean i should just stick some filter stuff on my HOB and if i have to medicate just take them out?

Your HOB should have some sort of bio-filtration pad or wheel or sponge or something. You do not need to take out that bio-filter during treatment. Definitely keep it in always. For certain treatments you need to remove carbon.

Back
Top Bottom