Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My blue tang has 2 lil white dots on her noise. Is it ick? I tried getting a picture but she just moves too fast. I've only had her maybe a week now. And if is ick, what so I do?

QT the tang, just in case in a bare bottom tank, my hippo came down with ick I got it off Craigslist for free and was advised by a very reliable fish person to fresh water dip and hyposalinity ( 1.015-1.016) and PWC every other day for at least 6 weeks and siphon from the floor of the tank as when the cysts fall that's where they land

My blue tang has 2 lil white dots on her noise. Is it ick? I tried getting a picture but she just moves too fast. I've only had her maybe a week now. And if is ick, what so I do?

I don't know about ick in salt water, but upping the heat helps speed up the life cycle in my freshwater tanks. It makes treating it quicker.

Marine ick is totally dif than fresh water ick raising temp in saltwater will just stress the fish out more making the ick get worse. Marine ick can't survive in low salinity

Putting your fish at 1.015 salinity and doing freshwater dips also does not cure ich . Salinity must be maintained below 1.010 (1.008 is recommended ) for usually 6 weeks . The cysts don't fall off in hypo they basically flood with water and explode .

Yea but fw dips don't cure ich and either does that salinity so I wouldn't tell others that is how you should treat it

Yea but fw dips don't cure ich and either does that salinity so I wouldn't tell others that is how you should treat it

Well that's how I was told to treat it by a very knowledgable person not trying to kill my fish to sell me another so if you wanna belittle my method which is working for me and keeping my regal tang stress free and showing no signs of ick u just do that, but all I can do is share my experience and how it's working for me. But you just go ahead belittle people sharing there experiences if that's what makes you feel like a better person

I thought Hondatek was simply pointing out what has been scientifically proven. There are a lot of well-meaning people out there that misunderstand and give questionable advice. I know I've heard many things over the years. The good news is that there are many articles out there that explain how to combat Ich. Big money has gone into this research and there is basically no mystery left. The only proven cures are copper and hypo. Both have proven levels that work. Going less might help, but probably would not eliminate the problem.

IMO, the problem occurs when people do it their own way, start dancing around a week later when the Ich "disappears". They are not understanding that it does that as part of its life cycle (treated or not) and that nothing was actually cured. Even if it does not reappear, it does not mean that there is not Ich present and waiting to pounce on the first stressed/weakened fish.

I thought Hondatek was simply pointing out what has been scientifically proven. There are a lot of well-meaning people out there that misunderstand and give questionable advice. I know I've heard many things over the years. The good news is that there are many articles out there that explain how to combat Ich. Big money has gone into this research and there is basically no mystery left. The only proven cures are copper and hypo. Both have proven levels that work. Going less might help, but probably would not eliminate the problem.

IMO, the problem occurs when people do it their own way, start dancing around a week later when the Ich "disappears". They are not understanding that it does that as part of its life cycle (treated or not) and that nothing was actually cured. Even if it does not reappear, it does not mean that there is not Ich present and waiting to pounce on the first stressed/weakened fish.

I agree with you that's y my regal is still in QT even tho he shows no signs of ick since the fresh water dip he will stay QT for a while but I can't risk useing copper on him as for one they are expensive fish and the tank he came from originally was a 55 gal with him being bullied by a GSM and underweight and malnutrition. He eats lots of garlic to try and help build his immunity and gets formula 2 and lots of garlic guard soaked nori ( also recommended by my trust worthy fish person) and the fresh water dips are to clear the gills and the white cysts u see. I've read the articles and IMO regals are a sensitive fish. And I never stated that a fresh water dip would cure the problem it's just to ease the itchiness the ick causes.

Getting back to the OP...I would not QT until you are sure it is Ich. It could be sand, could be scrapes, etc...it might even go away without treatment. Sometimes just having pristine water conditions and a healthy diet helps them through it. Only problem there is that there can still be Ich in the tank and new additions can pick it up when they are weaker due to stress.

If your going to keep a Regal tang in a 55gal, expect Ick.

He is not in a 55 gal in my house I took him and a yellow tang from a guy who had them in a 55 I am temporarily housing them in a 90 (well the regal is in QT) till I get a 180 up and running
The fish came with ick all I've been doing is getting it back to health as it had lateral line also so since I seem to be a target of the tang police excuse me for trying give these fish a better life

Stories are getting crossed. OP has a Blue Tang (Regal) with possible Ich. Can't figure out if the 55g in their Bio is what it's in or a 48 mentioned in another thread. Either way (sorry for playing Tang Police), it's in a "Too small" tank, which will cause stress, which opens fish (especially Tangs) up to stuff like Ich.

Belle has a Regal Tang in QT already.

I have a 55 gallon tank. The tang I have is super small maybe the size of a quarter. The lil white spot is no longer there. I am aware that my tank is not the recommended size, I am in the process of trying to get a 180 gallon now.

Back
Top Bottom