Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
ick whiped me out

I had a wipe out this weekend ,never saw in coming, I live in Florida ,bought a battery back up in case power went out do to storm, next thing I know one by one they were all dying, nothing I could do, everything was closed outt here do to storm, had 10 fish down to 3 ,one has a spot ot two on his fin ,I added some medication I got today ,the other seem to be good, so said ,I had these fish for so long, they were like my kids and I spent my weekend laying them to rest in my yard
They all had there own personality more so my puffer and nasa tang
Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I am not so sure that was ick. Did your power go out???

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
No , its weird all of a sudden one by one they were dying ,I just got back from the fish store ,I told the guy they looked like they had a white coating on them, they looked slightly swollen and there fins were like eaten away, told him before my puffer dyed it was like he was blind, there eyes were not cludy just a white film on them, the guy said that sound like a red sea infection that comon, who know
I'm goingto wait a few weeks and make sure everything is ok then i'm going to buy another puffer, a big one, don't even care if he's the only fish I could have as for some reason I love the dog puffer ,then again i'm a dog lover so it makes sense
The only reason I started a tank a few years ago was I saw a dog puffer and fell in love with that fish ,they have such a puppy way about them, mine woiuld come to the top of the tank waiting for me at night like it saw me from the other side of the roog, wagging its tail waitng for me to feed him
Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sounds like velvet to me.. sorry for your loss.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
Old 09-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
I'm going to wait a few weeks until I know all is well then I will look for some fish to repl what I lost ,like I said more then anything I would love to have another puffer then again I was never able to do corals with the puffer so maybe I will go the other way, not really sure right now, can't relly think about it at this time
Old 09-13-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
yeah it does sound like marine velvet.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Got 3 fish still alive? Did you treat in your main tank?

If velvet, I'd suspect water quality problems.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-14-2004, 07:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ya velvet. My CB got it after a short outage and went from being healthy looking to crab food in less than 6 hours. Nasty stuff.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Well I think I got a handle on it now, lost seven fish but saved three which is better then nothing but I do feel terrible as I had these fish a long time and really grew attached to them, I did a couple of doses of coper safe and it seemed to take care of it ,how long should I wait before adding a few new fish, seems like its gone, no sign of it, fish look good and being them self, the guy at the pet store says once all looks good its ok to add but then again I don't always believe them as i'm sure they just want your money
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com