ick whiped me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will alow me to pay him 50.00 down and 25.00 next week and the week after ,buy then my tank will be ready

If you have velvet or ich, three weeks will not be enough to have your tank "ready". 4 weeks of being fallow (completely without fish) is required to eradicate ich, and I would also go longer with a case of velvet.

Healthy fish do not just come down with parasites unless their immune systems have been weakened....most often by stress or bad water quality. I would take a very hard look into your system before you even consider adding a new fish to keep from repeating the cycle.

How old was this tank, was it your first? I would hate to lose all that in one miserable event, what a desperate feeling :x .

Well long story short I upgraded from a 55 gal to a 125 about 2 months ago ,the 55 was up and running for about a year and a half ,the fish trippled there size so I went to a bigger tank ,the tank did go into a cycle which drove me crazy for about a month but was ok at that point
A few things happened that may have been the cause, 1 my power kept flickering on and off do to the storm here in Florida ,2 my niece stayed with us for five days and at times I would find her bothering the fish, 3 prier to this all about a week and a half ago I bought a cuban hog which was the first to dye a week after I bought so maybe he was the one who caused this as from what I read this valvet comes from the red sea fish, its just a shame with everything that was going on I did not catch it in time as I had my mother and father who are both elderly staying with me as well to to the storm they had no power for 7 days

Heres another theory, my new hog was being chased by my triger, my triger was being chaced my my grouper, my tamato clow was chasing my goby, seems like the ones that were being chased died and the the ones that were doing the chasing lived, the puffer did not chase anyone but seemed to get stressed and blow up time to time when the others would fight ,my puffer was a very mild puffer, in fact he seemed to be scared of alot of fish which did not make sense, for example I got a small lion months ago, puffers are are to be more aggressive then lions, the lion was tiny, the puffer was three or four times his size but every time he saw the lion he freakd out so I gave the lion to a friend of mine for a grouper which seemed to be ok and the puffer got along with him and they bth kept to them selfs

Stress all around from too many, ill-matched fish. If you duplicate it again, you will inevitably have the same results. QT will help prevent some problems, but casualty rates will always be high in over-crowded environments.

Was the 55g your first tank? Did an LFS help you stock it?

I had a 250 gal tank about seven years ago, I had to sell it as we bought a new home and we down sized since its just me and my wife now
I did not have room for the tank so I went with a 55, rain out of room and upgraded to a 125
As far as fish no the store did not help me, I did the research and found what does well in captivity and what does not, also the hard to kill very hardy fish
Then again I aways had a thing about tangs ,I stay away from the blue hipo as that one always seems to be the first to get sick

I did the research and found what does well in captivity and what does not, also the hard to kill very hardy fish

Fairly ironic, since unfortunately 7 of your 10 fish are dead. You have a good opportunity to turn things around. With the amount of experience you have....add in a quarantine tank and limit your purchases. It does not do any good to purchase "hardy" fish if in doing so you get that many that conditions deteriorate. I would limit yourself to one larger "show" fish that adequately fits in your tank (i.e., the grouper would have far outgrown your existing tank), and then a few other complementary ones. Might be less action, but it will enable your livestock to live much longer.

What I was going to do was buy a large dog puffer, I pove them, in fact I found one at the store I've been going to , its a large one with a black mask, looks like the long ranger ,they guy was going to let me put money down on him and hold him for me but then something weird happened ,as much as I wanted another dog puffer my daughter saw a large porcupine puffer with big blue eyes
it as in a large tank and no matter where I walked it was like it was following me back and forth in the tank ,when I went over to the tank he came right up to me so happy and playful so long story short I bought him, how could I not, not often you make a connection with a fish
So I will have him as my large, a small tamaot clow-a small huma triger and a medium sailfin tang in my 125 gal tank

I would love to have an angel fish but everyone I ever had died, I read an article that there not good fish to keep in captivity and they are very hard to keep

so long story short I bought him

Wow, way to heed the advice of everyone on this forum. You placed a new fish in your tank (which you claim just had ich or velvet), and did not even QT the new fish to avoid bringing in additional parasites, etc. This tells me that you could care less about the fish you just bought, nor the fish that survived your previous mistakes.

If we are not learning in this hobby, we are failing. And once again, this is a typical example as to why people are attempting to push legislature through to handcuff our hobby.

You are either blatantly ignorant, or a fraud. Either way I have no more time nor pity for you.

No he is still at the pet store ,the guy is holding him for me ,I paid in full only because it was not expensive like the puffer I wanted, in fact it was half the cost, 45.00, I im going to pick him up in a couple of weeks ,want him now but I know I can't but at leasr I get to visit him until then ,by the way so far so good with the other fish, still said I didn't catch it in time

he will be my large show fish and the others will be my small fish, then again I would down the road like to have a few more fish , 1 large three small does not seem like alot in such a big tank, what do you think?, I mean I dont want to over load but then again I want to have a few more small fish, notto small that can be eaten

If you really want this to work. Get your $45 back, and purchase a qt system. Remove your remaining fish to this system for a 6-8 week period. Treat them for parasite and then you could start over. If there is a parasite present, it will not go away with fish hosts still in your main. Some of you fish may be more resistant, but they will eventually perish. Believe me, many of this have learned this the hard way.
Its up to you. Do it right, or be doomed to continued heartache (and dying pets).

I think you will be fine with a few more fishin the future with proper filtration. Is your 125 long or tall?

PS. Def. buy a qt. Dont skip this part. It is just as important to me as having water for the fish. :wink:

Wow, way to heed the advice of everyone on this forum. You placed a new fish in your tank (which you claim just had ich or velvet), and did not even QT the new fish to avoid bringing in additional parasites, etc. This tells me that you could care less about the fish you just bought, nor the fish that survived your previous mistakes.

If we are not learning in this hobby, we are failing. And once again, this is a typical example as to why people are attempting to push legislature through to handcuff our hobby.

You are either blatantly ignorant, or a fraud. Either way I have no more time nor pity for you. "

Wow, harsh.

I know what you mean but I did not reply as I learned along time ago arguing with idiots gets you no place, in fact people like that gave me a theory ,I always said god should have made idiots with one eye in the middle of there head so they would be easily spotted before we waste our time with them

twilyte said:
Nothin', exvisor.. Just thought that post made on pg. 3 seemed a little over the top.

If you look around, you will find several threads on ich/velvet for this person. In all cases, the serious need for quarantine was emphasized both BEFORE and AFTER he stated he wanted to put fish back in right away. It was and is understood that the fish will be held at the fish store, which will not help anyway because a.The fish will remain in community water, and could be infected or a carrier b. The fish in the display tank have not been treated. It has been presented clearly that the display tank should be fallow for a given period or otherwise treated appropriately to save the lives of the current or future fish.

Instead, a fish was purchased anyway showing total disregard for the livestock involved. To many of us, THAT is harsh. :?

A fish was bought but is not in my tank idiot, pay attention before you open your mouth and insult people
Anyway end of conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom