is it that simple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
O.K.Hello my friends!!!I have one more simple question.Or maybe it is not that simple.Please let me know what you guys think.You bought new fish.You put her into the Q.T.You cheking her for the next week.She looks fine.And my question" do you still treat her for parasites<copper,hyposalnity>just to make sure she is fine or just continue to watch her for the next couple weeks and if she is fine put her in the main tank.Sounds simple but is it?What you guys do?Thank you!!!!

It actually is simple... either you do or don't! And you're going to get responses from both sides of the fence!

Personally, I don't medicate the QT unless the fish shows outward signs of an illness. When I was stocking, the fish spent a minimum of 4 weeks in the QT. If it showed ANY signs off something abnormal, the 4 week clock would start over and I'd watch it like a hawk to see if it's just a little stressed, or if it had some type of infection.

When I dont medicate either unless there are signs of illness and most times it can be treated in an other wise healthy fish with food, selcon and garlic along with good water perameters :) . Which should show in a few days , but continue to QT the full 4-6 weeks :)

I don't medicate unless required. I do lots of pwcs in QT to keep the water pristine and watch for any signs of illness. QT is 30 days minimum for me.

IMO I would never medicate unless I was doing it for a reason. In other words only medicate if they have a problem.

Stress is oftentimes the major factor in susceptibility to disease and parasite outbreaks. Given the fact that all fish undergo quite a bit of stress by the time you are able to purchase them, especially taking into consideration the other inhabitants hodgpodged into cubicles that are sharing their infestations, I consider medicating a must for all incoming fish for at least 30 days. Proactive quarantine does not allow further implications to the health of your fish (within means).

Back
Top Bottom