Isolation Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 15 gallon tank that I'm going to be using for storing/ageing saltwater, and hope to also use it as an isolation/hospital tank. Maybe quarantining too.

If I see a fish is poorly and I need to treat him or whatever, is it ok to do the following:-

Siphon off some water from my main tank into the smaller tank, put some substrate in (mixed with some live sand from my main tank), a couple of plants, and a small filter/light/powerhead/heater and then put the fish in it after it's settled down a bit, a couple of hours later?

Or do I need to do anything else to make the hospital tank ready for a fish to be put in it?

I'd then replace the main tank water I've taken out with newly-mixed RO'd saltwater, mixed in a seperate container, and put in when it's mixed well together.

Is this ok??

:)

Cheers,

Mark

I would not use any sand or plants in the iso/qt tank. Just use some main tank water and a couple of pieces of pvc pipe and or fittings to give the fish a place to hide while in qt.

OK, is any substrate at all necessary? What about bacteria?

The filter will sustain the bacteria at least in the beginning. Although not large surface areas, all hard surfaces in the tank will hold bacteria to some degree. With only light feedings, proper cleanings and water changes; it should be fine. Substrates can often create problems in a QT as they will absorb certain meds such as copper making them less effective. Even if not using copper, it makes keeping the tank clean much much easier without it.

Not sure if you've seen it yet but here is a great >>quarantine article<<.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks a lot for the help steve/tmcpeek! How do I actually get bacteria into the QT tank in the first place? I won't be running it all the time, you see!

:)

Mark

MarkW19 said:
How do I actually get bacteria into the QT tank in the first place?
Depending on how the main tank is set up, you can either run the filter in the main tank for a week prior to using the QT or simpley place whatever filter sleeve if using a HOB into the main tank where it can accumulate the needed bacteria. Personally I run carbon or polyfilter in all my tanks. If needed on the fly, I always have something at least to start with.

Just about any hard surface materials transfered from the main tank to the QT will transfer the bacteria if they've been there long enough. As long as they are not CaCO3 based or sorbs meds, they can remain in the QT. Just remember nothing can be transfered back to the main tank. You do not want to transfer any meds or contaminates.

Cheers
Steve

does this mean it is not advised to put lr in qt? or would the basis be the lr could spread disease back to main tank? I setting up a 10g qt now, thought I would put some lr in for good bacteria, but now I am thinking it may be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank when done?

Do you have to have a filter of any kind?? I keep a "spounge" of sorts in my sump that I could pull out and put in the hospital tank if needed??? I didnt think you had to have a hospital or qrt tank up and running all of the time?? just curious.. articles???

correction, that was meant to say "it may not be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank"

also, is hyposalinity advised during qt? if so what reading should I aim for? (yes I read the qt article) thanks!

Do I have to cycle the quarantine/hospital tank before I use it?

I'm thinking about running it with no light, just a small powerhead, heater, and small, cheap, internal filter. A couple of pieces of small rock (not live) maybe for hiding places.

Do I need anything else?

In the case of using it as a hospital tank, I won't of course have any time to cycle/mature the tank, so what would I do in this case, if it needed to be used immediately? But I could setup the tank 1 - 2 weeks before quarantining, in this case, what should I do as well? Could I just siphon off some water into my 15 gallon from my main tank? If I can, with me losing so much water from my main tank (about a quarter), how long can the fish in my main tank last with only 3/4 the water in, and the filter/heater turned off (the output spraybar from my Eheim is JUST under water level, and can't go any lower because of physical restrictions, so therefore in this case the spraybar would be well above waterlevel. It could always output the water onto the surface I suppose (as opposed to blowing it out under the surface) until I've chance to mix/RO some more water to refill my main tank. Is this ok? How long will the fish be ok for with so much water missing?

As far as filter media goes, I've got an Eheim 2327/84 with the Eheisubstrat filter media balls, so I couldn't put some of those into a small, internal filter could I? Are there any other options to get living bacteria into my hospital/qt tank in a hurry?

Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks! :)

srgetz said:
does this mean it is not advised to put lr in qt? or would the basis be the lr could spread disease back to main tank? I setting up a 10g qt now, thought I would put some lr in for good bacteria, but now I am thinking it may be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank when done?

correction, that was meant to say "it may not be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank"

also, is hyposalinity advised during qt? if so what reading should I aim for? (yes I read the qt article) thanks!

If transfering anything back to the main tank you risk the chances of transmitting any problems or meds along with it. When setting up a new QT for the first time, that is not a concern but adding something and then removing it such as the LR will remove most if not all the bacteria with it. It's best to "seed" something that can be left in the QT throughout the process.

Best practice is to keep all equipment for the QT and the main tank seperate.

Cheers
Steve

fishman said:
Do you have to have a filter of any kind?? I keep a "spounge" of sorts in my sump that I could pull out and put in the hospital tank if needed??? I didnt think you had to have a hospital or qrt tank up and running all of the time?? just curious.. articles???
No you don't although if you are in the process of adding fish for a new tank, it's a good idea and much less hassle. Having a seeded sponge filter or other media source that can be transfered to a newly established QT will work just as well.

Cheers
Steve

MarkW19 said:
Do I have to cycle the quarantine/hospital tank before I use it?
I'm thinking about running it with no light, just a small powerhead, heater, and small, cheap, internal filter. A couple of pieces of small rock (not live) maybe for hiding places.
It does not need to be permanently set up but it is highly advisable to keep some sort of media in the main tank that can transfer needed bacteria to "kick start" the nitrifying bacteria in the QT. The set up is fine but skip the rock. If treatment is needed for whatever problem, it will hamper more than help. It might not look all that great but short pieces of PVC are inert and a better option. The fish will not care as long as they can conceal themselves when needed.

Do I need anything else?
Possibley some eggcrate material to keep the fish in :wink:

In the case of using it as a hospital tank, I won't of course have any time to cycle/mature the tank, so what would I do in this case, if it needed to be used immediately? But I could setup the tank 1 - 2 weeks before quarantining, in this case, what should I do as well? Could I just siphon off some water into my 15 gallon from my main tank? If I can, with me losing so much water from my main tank (about a quarter), how long can the fish in my main tank last with only 3/4 the water in, and the filter/heater turned off (the output spraybar from my Eheim is JUST under water level, and can't go any lower because of physical restrictions, so therefore in this case the spraybar would be well above waterlevel. It could always output the water onto the surface I suppose (as opposed to blowing it out under the surface) until I've chance to mix/RO some more water to refill my main tank. Is this ok? How long will the fish be ok for with so much water missing?

As far as filter media goes, I've got an Eheim 2327/84 with the Eheisubstrat filter media balls, so I couldn't put some of those into a small, internal filter could I? Are there any other options to get living bacteria into my hospital/qt tank in a hurry?

Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks! :)
Personally I always keep enough SW mixed an aerated in buckets to do a least a 10% water change if needed (or something overflows). They can even be kept in a closet with a loose lid on them.

If setting up an emergency QT, filling with the main tanks water is best. As far as the 15 gal not having a sufficient water level it will only be temporary and not much of a concern. As long as the Eheim can pull water from the tank and return it, there will only be a small disruption. Water falling into the tank from the spray bar would only be a minor inconvenience.

As far as the bacteria, you can take a few of the media balls from the Eheim and place them in the filter used for the QT. It enough are used (depending on size) it should work fine.

If your in the market for a new fish, the QT should be up and running before you go shopping.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks a lot Steve.

Here's what I'd do in the case of an emergency QT setup (if it was a new, planned purchase, I'd set up the QT well in advance and let it cycle naturally with fresh, RO'd saltwater and some balls from the Eheim):-

Siphon off enough water from my main tank to fill my QT tank 2/3 full. This would leave my main tank also 2/3 full. I always keep enough mixed saltwater to do a 20% waterchange if neccessary, so this will bring the main tank level up quite a bit more if I add this back in. Then, if I wasn't able to go to my local dealer who's 2 mins away immediately (evenings, Sundays etc.) who sell RO water pre-done, I'd run everything as normal and then fill up my tank the next day with a couple of buckets of RO water that I get from my dealer, mixed with some salt and mixed/aerated/heated for as long as possible, getting each batch to the correct levels - it won't be aged of course, as I usually like to do it, but it is an emergency after all. There'll be 1 - 2 batches of saltwater mixed in this way (the container I have for my saltwater is only fairly small, 6 gallons, so I'd have to make a couple of trips for RO water to my dealer and put them in the tank seperately).

This would be the same procedure if I needed to do a massive waterchange, for some reason.

Is all this ok?

Cheers!

- Mark

I would still let the new SW mix and stabalize before you use it. Leaving the two tanks only partially filled will not harm anything for a day with your set up. The newly mixed SW can if not allowed to age at least a day. Some have mixed and added new SW within hours of preparation, personally I would not chance it.

Other than that I think you've got it down (y)

Cheers
Steve

srgetz said:
thanks steve, and your take on hyposalinity during qt?
Personally I do not believe in treating something that "may" exist. I treat only what does exist. Hyposalinity is a great treatment when used properly but I do not think it should be used as a just in case.

If the fish has something that requires the use of copper such as velvet, you must end the hypo, bring up the salinity and then begin treatment. In many cases, valuable time will be lost in the process. Raising the salinity must be done much slower than lowering it.

Cheers
Steve

I read the quarantine article and there are two instances where a number was replaced with a question mark, e.g. "Acclimate your fish to the quarantine tank; float the bag for about ? hour, ..." I assume that number is 1, although being a newbie I'd rather not make any assumptions. Can anyone clarify this for me? TIA

Once the new fish is home you only need to "float" for about 10-15 min before opening the bag. This allows the temp to come up and the ph to stabalize some first. If you open the bag too soon, it can cause ph shock.

Once you open the bag, take about ¼-½ cup of water from the QT and add it to the bag. Repeat every 10-15 min until the bag fills. Discard half the water and repeat until the bag fills again. Net the fish, place in the QT and discard all the water from the bag.

With more sensitive fish or with inverts in general, it's always best to drip acclimate.

Cheers
Steve

You will end up dumping the QT water in the long run anyway... just in case it's contaminated. So if it were me, I'd siphon water from the main tank for my QT, then do a partial water change on the main tank. Kill two birds with one stone.

Back
Top Bottom