Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isolation Tank

I've got a 15 gallon tank that I'm going to be using for storing/ageing saltwater, and hope to also use it as an isolation/hospital tank. Maybe quarantining too.

If I see a fish is poorly and I need to treat him or whatever, is it ok to do the following:-

Siphon off some water from my main tank into the smaller tank, put some substrate in (mixed with some live sand from my main tank), a couple of plants, and a small filter/light/powerhead/heater and then put the fish in it after it's settled down a bit, a couple of hours later?

Or do I need to do anything else to make the hospital tank ready for a fish to be put in it?

I'd then replace the main tank water I've taken out with newly-mixed RO'd saltwater, mixed in a seperate container, and put in when it's mixed well together.

Is this ok??

Cheers,

Mark

Old 04-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not use any sand or plants in the iso/qt tank. Just use some main tank water and a couple of pieces of pvc pipe and or fittings to give the fish a place to hide while in qt.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, is any substrate at all necessary? What about bacteria?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
steve-s

The filter will sustain the bacteria at least in the beginning. Although not large surface areas, all hard surfaces in the tank will hold bacteria to some degree. With only light feedings, proper cleanings and water changes; it should be fine. Substrates can often create problems in a QT as they will absorb certain meds such as copper making them less effective. Even if not using copper, it makes keeping the tank clean much much easier without it.

Not sure if you've seen it yet but here is a great >>quarantine article<<.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks a lot for the help steve/tmcpeek! How do I actually get bacteria into the QT tank in the first place? I won't be running it all the time, you see!

Mark
Old 04-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
How do I actually get bacteria into the QT tank in the first place?
Depending on how the main tank is set up, you can either run the filter in the main tank for a week prior to using the QT or simpley place whatever filter sleeve if using a HOB into the main tank where it can accumulate the needed bacteria. Personally I run carbon or polyfilter in all my tanks. If needed on the fly, I always have something at least to start with.

Just about any hard surface materials transfered from the main tank to the QT will transfer the bacteria if they've been there long enough. As long as they are not CaCO3 based or sorbs meds, they can remain in the QT. Just remember nothing can be transfered back to the main tank. You do not want to transfer any meds or contaminates.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

does this mean it is not advised to put lr in qt? or would the basis be the lr could spread disease back to main tank? I setting up a 10g qt now, thought I would put some lr in for good bacteria, but now I am thinking it may be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank when done?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Do you have to have a filter of any kind?? I keep a "spounge" of sorts in my sump that I could pull out and put in the hospital tank if needed??? I didnt think you had to have a hospital or qrt tank up and running all of the time?? just curious.. articles???
Old 04-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

correction, that was meant to say "it may not be best to put lr & filter media from qt back to main tank"

also, is hyposalinity advised during qt? if so what reading should I aim for? (yes I read the qt article) thanks!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do I have to cycle the quarantine/hospital tank before I use it?

I'm thinking about running it with no light, just a small powerhead, heater, and small, cheap, internal filter. A couple of pieces of small rock (not live) maybe for hiding places.

Do I need anything else?

In the case of using it as a hospital tank, I won't of course have any time to cycle/mature the tank, so what would I do in this case, if it needed to be used immediately? But I could setup the tank 1 - 2 weeks before quarantining, in this case, what should I do as well? Could I just siphon off some water into my 15 gallon from my main tank? If I can, with me losing so much water from my main tank (about a quarter), how long can the fish in my main tank last with only 3/4 the water in, and the filter/heater turned off (the output spraybar from my Eheim is JUST under water level, and can't go any lower because of physical restrictions, so therefore in this case the spraybar would be well above waterlevel. It could always output the water onto the surface I suppose (as opposed to blowing it out under the surface) until I've chance to mix/RO some more water to refill my main tank. Is this ok? How long will the fish be ok for with so much water missing?

As far as filter media goes, I've got an Eheim 2327/84 with the Eheisubstrat filter media balls, so I couldn't put some of those into a small, internal filter could I? Are there any other options to get living bacteria into my hospital/qt tank in a hurry?

Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com