Issues Between Young Damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rolandzimmerman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a 30g saltwater tank for my girlfriend. We let it cycle for a week, I ran some tests and it was ready. So we got our clean up crew all settled in. I've set up many tanks, as I used to work for a fish tank maintenance company. We went to the LFS and she really wanted these two different breeds of damsels: yellow belly and green chromis. I've never had issues with the chromis before, and I'd never had a yellow belly. I figured they would be fine because they were both babies. This morning, I got a call from her that the chromis was laying on the sandbed. I quaranyined him and medicated him to try to take him out of shock, but we weren't able to save him. He has a bruise on his side and nips on his fins and the yellow belly had been chasing him the night before.

Tl; dr: I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a yellow belly damsel and can give me some advice. Also wondering if it's even possible for two 1-inch fish to even do enough damage to kill each other.

Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I took substrate and live rock from an established tank. I just need to know about the fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they can, I've seen damsels terrorise fish 5 times their size. I have a mean clown fish that has successfully killed a blenny three times it's size. It's possible.

The chromis is the least aggressive damsel. I've seen several of them cohabit quite peacefully. My bet is that you are right & the other damsel just beat him up. I have never been able to keep chromis damsels alive for very long, never had a problem with other damsels. I have 2 blue w/ yellow tail (yellow tails, I think they're called) that were put in the tank (50 gal tub) several years apart. They don't hang out together like my clownfish but they haven't bothered each other either. I think chromis must be very peaceful & sensitive. The fish store folks act pretty puzzled when I have another batch die... usually one at a time. I try again every couple of years.... love them (the fish, I mean?.... Just never works.

Chromis tend to pick each other off until only one or two remain. I tried multiple times and now I just keep the two I have. I've never owned the yellow belly damsels but I had a blue damsel and they are incredibly mean. From what I've seen they will go after whatever they want. Mine tormented a yellow tang, I eventually got rid of it.

Damsle are the most aggressive fish one at max in a tank definatlety not two dude damsle are more than capable of killing fish 3xs there size

Pound for pound, tougher than sharks. I agree with the above and also have seen them kick the life out of much larger fish.

damsels are demons
the chromis didn't have a chance against the yellow belly
I've heard of many a story about damsels going after fish 6X there size with no intimidation
only time I say damsels are ok are when they are in a species only tank
with nothing else in the tank
many learn the hard way thinking that little fish cant do much , to find there prize fish dead thanks to that little demon

The three striped damsels(aka humbug) are the worst. Always nipping at other fish until my lion fish decided he was a pest and ate his annoying butt.

Back
Top Bottom