Killing my Aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok im tired of these guys all over my tank, so I took a spoon full of Mrs. Wages and placed it on a small jar, added some RODI water, shook for about a minute till I had a thick milky white substance. I then took a syringe with a long needle and filled it with the liquid and proceeded to feed the aiptasia. So far they look like they are dying!! I will update later. I stopped my kalk drip for now since the extra concentrated kalk that may be in the water.

ok about 6 hours later no signs of the ones I pickled and just started my kalk drip again although I didnt test the CA or AK

I wonder if you have real peppermint shrimp. They love aiptasia, 2 of them ate about ten good sized ones in one night and finished the others of the next night.

my peppermint just seem to hide under the same rock, all 3 of them, they never seem to move.
and I read joes juice is basically the same thing as mrs wages just something else added to it

My Peppermint shrimp also took care of the Aiptrasia I had. The very next day after I put them in. There is another shrimp I read about that resembles the Peppermint Shrimp very closely, I forgot what it was called but the article said alot of LFS will mis-identfy these two and you may have ended up with the other. If you have corals in your tank, (I didn't see any listed in your Sig) this "other" shrimp will eat at them.

Mike

I found this. I hope this may help a little.

Peppermint Shrimp are opaque to creamy-clear in color, with red or maroon colored stripes running along the length of the body. Often misidentified or misrepresented and sold as the Camelback Shrimp (Rhynchocienetes uritai), this two species are NOT the same and should not be confused. This is the only TRUE Peppermint Shrimp.
It will grow to a length of about 2 inches, and is commonly collected in the Caribbean.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Characteristics
Don Carner said that he had some of these shrimp for years in his reef tank and never experienced ANY predatory problems with keeping them. The TRUE Peppermint Shrimp will NOT eat corals, but the Camelback, that is often mislabeled as this shrimp, will!
Peppermint Shrimp are nocturnal and very shy during the day, protecting themselves from THEIR own predators by staying out of sight most of the time. However, at night when the big boys are napping, this shrimp forages the system looking for a meal.

The Lysmata wurdemanni is generally peaceful with other tank inhabitants, but may not get along well with Coral Banded Shrimp of the same sex, and may pick on other shrimp species as well.

To help with proper molting of this shrimp, supplemental iodine should be added to the system. Like with all invertebrates, this shrimp is sensitive to copper sulfate and high nitrate levels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diet
The Peppermint Shrimp is a carnivore, scavenging the bottom of the aquarium, and sifting sand for food. In captivity it will accept a varied diet of prepared fresh and frozen foods suitable for carnivores, vitamin enriched flakes, freeze dried krill, or live adult brine shrimp or nauplii. Best fed at least once per day.
This shrimp is known for eating aiptasia anemones! It eat them like candy! Place 3 or 4 to a tank to really clean up infestations. Once all the anemones are gone though, you must provide food for them. Don't allow the aiptastia to grow larger than an inch or so, because the shrimp won't go after really large ones. Add the shrimp early on in the beginnings of the reef, after cycling of course! This will help to keep the anemones from over running the tank in the first place!

Mike

I believe the Camel shrimp is the one who confuses some of being a peppermint. I could be wrong though. Anybody know if I am right or wrong?

found this info on a web page

Both Rhynchocinetidae sp and Lysmata wurdemanni will eat aiptasias. Rhynchocinetidae sp. will also eat corals and is not suitable for a reef tank. There have also been reports of L. wurdemanni eating the polyps on small polyp sceleractinians.

There are 2 similar species, one nearly indistinguishable.

Rhynchocinetes spp (there are many but most reference uritai) is also known as the "Camel" shrimp and has a highly pronounced hump. They dont eat Aiptasia but are confirmed coralivores.

Lysmata rathbunae is found off eastern Florida (as opposed to the largely Carribean/Gulf L. wurdemanni). About the only external difference between the two is tail-fan patterning, and that is subtle. In a picture of 1 of each species next to each other the differences are quite apparent, but in an LFS it would be difficult to tell. Basically L. rathbunae has a darker tail fan, with no visible striping, and a darker, more opaque body. L. rathbunae has no interest whatsoever in Aiptasia.

True L. wurdemanni has always eaten Aiptasia,but it is fairly localized to their territory (about 1sq foot), so you need enough shrimp to cover the tank. It is reasonable to suspect that anything that will eat one Cnidarian will eat others as well, and their have been reports of L wurdemanni eating coral.

Lysmata rathbunae - rostrum reaching as far as, or beyond, end of antennular peduncle; antennal scale 5 times as long as wide.

Lysmata wurdemanni - rostrum reaching not much, if at all, beyond second article of antennular peduncle; antennal scale less than 4 times as long as wide.

The ''rostrum'' is that sharp horn-looking projection on the top of the head which protrudes out the front like a serrated spear. Lysmata have three sets of antennae, and where the two front pair of antennae join is the end of the ''antennular peduncle''. The ''second article of the antennal peduncle'' is the second joint in that appendage the antennae arise from. The ''antennal scales'' are two flat blade-like projections sticking out the front of the head. They seem use these blades to help steer themselves when swimming.

So, if the end of the rostrum spear sticks out as far as where the front two pair of antennae join together, then it is a Lysmata rathbunae. If the tip of the rostrum does not reach as far forward as the point where the first two pair of antennae join, then it is a Lysmata wurdemanni. The antennal scale lengthwidth ratio is difficult to determine without catching the shrimp and measuring carefully, but the the length of the rostrum relative to the base of the front two pair of antennae is pretty much fool-proof.

L. rathbunae
Variation - There are 2 varieties of L. rathbunae with the most obvious difference being the number of rostral teeth (number of serrations on that spear).
Habitat - Sometimes from sponges; the typical from generally occurs from 13 to 119 meters but the form with more rostral teeth generally occurs in depths of 9 meters or less.
Known Range - Range of the typical form is SE Cape Fear, NC , east coast of Florida to Yucatan. The range of the form with more numerous rostral teeth is Bermuda, Miami and Venezuela.
L. wurdemanni
Variation - There are also two forms in this species and they too are most easily differentiated by the number of teeth on the upper margin of the rostrum, the thickness of the second leg, and other stuff.
Habitat - Commonly found on stone jetties or AMONG HYDROIDS growing on piles or buoys, or in sponges. The EMPHASIS is mine but it may provide a clue to the food preferences of this species.
Known Range - Great Egg Harbor NJ to Port Aransas TX; Surinam; French Guiana; Mamanguape and Sao Paulo, Brazil
Remarks - When approached by a spiny boxfish or filefish, this shrimp begins rhythmically rocking to and fro; ascending vertically in a peculiar walking motion, it mounts its ''host'' and begins picking off parasites. The shrimp will swarm over the fingers of a person, picking at cuts and dead skin.

So
Lysmata wurdemanni = True peppermint shrimp (picture)
Rhynchocinetes uritai = Camelback shrimp or fake peppermint

Ok I just checked my AK it is at 6.5DKH im going to add some Seachem Reef Builder to raise it a bit, my CA was at 400 still and I increaded my drip to about one a second. I did another dosing with the syringe today because I missed a few and looks like 3 survived the first dosing. Im pretty sure I have peppermint shrimp and not the other kind. As I was dosing the aiptasia I found a shrimp shell so they already started to molt.

I just cant seem to kill them all off there are still 5-6 in my tank I keep seeing new ones all the time. I think im going to fire my peppermint shrimp they dont seem to be doing there job !! Look at this little guy on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom