Live Rock Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Just started my first saltwater tank setup about a month ago.

My live rock while cycling the tank is turning an orange color.
Is this normal? Doesn't look very pretty.

Cheers!

P.s Damsel is doing fine.

If you are referring to diatom growth, no, it is not that pretty. What color are your lights, and what is your water source?

lights are whatever came with the hood. Lights up the tank more than enough IMO. Just a $40 dollar light hood from petco. Only a 30 gallon tank. Water is tap.

So is there anything I can do to correct this easily?

Yes try not to use tap water. Get an RO or RO/DI unit. They will remove Excessive nutrients out of the water that feed them.

yeah, in hindsight, I wouldn't use it.

I will use bottled type water for water changes here on out.

Anything cheaper for a fix? Since I only need to correct this this once, I don't want to invest in an expensive setup. Any chemicals I can use to fix this?

Thanks alot!

It`s best not to use chemicals unless you really need to. Alot of times they foul up your tank and put your fish in a bad situation IMO. You can get an RO or RO/DI unit on ebay for pretty cheap.

melosu58 said:
It`s best not to use chemicals unless you really need to. Alot of times they foul up your tank and put your fish in a bad situation IMO. You can get an RO or RO/DI unit on ebay for pretty cheap.
I agree, I like the natural way.

Thanks for the reply. RO is out of the question for me.

It's only a 30 gallon tank, and I don't want to invest insane amounts of money. As it stands, I've already gone above and beyond. LOL

So it seems my issue is with using tap water. Aside from an RO system (which is completely out of the picture) and not using chemicals...what else can I do to get this under control?

Do I NEED a protein skimmer on a tank of this size? (currently do not have one)

Should I pick up some turbo snails? ( would this help at all? )

Should I do a water change with purified bottled water?

Any chance you can get a pic. I feel like we are not understanding exactly what is going on (at least I am a little confused).

I guess if you cant get an RO/DI unit just go with RO water or I used distilled water for a while. I `ve heard that Walmart sells RO water and I used Food Lion distilled for yrs. Also your LFS might have RO or RO/DI water.

It is time to change out the light tube for one more designed for our purposes. The gratis light that comes with the fixture is a full spectrum tube. It will simulate the light color comparable to surface or shallow water; think about marsh lands and bog lands. There is way too much red spectrum.
The animals we are attempting to keep are not used to that much red spectrum. Where they are found is about 20-40 ft deep. Water filters light. At that depth, there is very little red with lots of blue. Look for a tube that has at least half of its phosphors dedicated to blue. URI, now known as UV Lighting makes a tube called Actinic White. This tube also has a built in reflector; forcing more light into the tank.

I will take a pic when I get home tonight.

A buddy of mine told me it's normal for a SW tank. Says it's part of the cycling process. It is ONLY on the live rock, and is turning the rock a golden color. Says it should start turning to green algae shortly. ????

I dunno, I'm a noob. Though I agree with you on the bulb. I need to switch it out for something better.

Should I throw a couple turbo snails and maybe an emerald crab in there now?

Like I said, I currently only have the damsel in the tank which seems very happy. I feed once a day in the morning, with a light cycle of approx. 14 hours of light, then a lunar LED lamp for the night time.

I would post your water tests, here, before adding anything else that is living.
I would also reduce the lighting to about 8-10 hours and feed every other day. BTW, what are you feeding?

Feed every other day really?

Wow. Ok np.

As for food, feeding TetraMarine Marine Flakes.

Yup, every other day. I believe it is better for the fish. I have noticed my damsels eating algae off the glass, so they are able to survive. I also like to feed mine flakes, and then the next feeding, I give them mysis/brine soaked in selcon/zoe/garlic. Variety is the spice of life, so they say....

I agree that 14 hrs is a bit too much. I run mine 12 hrs but for you during this time I would cut back to 10 hrs. Been feeding my tank every other day for 9 yrs now. Your fish will be OK and you`ll starve the bad algea out of your tank.

Every other day it is then!

And I'll cut the light back to 10hrs.
Thanks again guys

I just wanted to post my water tests for you guys.

PH 8.6
ALK 0-1.6
NH3/NH4 0.25
NO3 5.0
NO2 0.05

Thanks for the help guys!

I also picked up a 10K bulb for the tank.
Everything looks good, so I'll add a couple snails and hermit crabs something this week.

Back
Top Bottom