looks like tank crash!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So.... I just got hit hard.. all my parameters are good .. a few days ago my plate coral started losing its flesh... its fairly new have had it for about a month or so... I have seen its glory many times.. just noticed yesterday my birds nest was closed as well as my mushrooms.. did a 30% water change.. this evening my wife noticed browning on my Kenya tree.. so once again I decided to do another pwc .. looks like my chili coral isn't to happy as well.. all my parameters are great ... next bulb change isn't for another 6 months... I switched to rodi water quite a while ago from the suggestions of this forum... any ideas guys should I take the hit and remove the corals that are having the issues?

Just so everyone can see parameters
.. ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates maybe 5 .
1024 salinity .. temp 78.4 cal. 440.. ph 8.2... phosphate 0 ..

chili corals don't survive in 99% of the closed systems anyway. what is your alk? that's more important than calcium numbers IME.
i wouldn't go tossing corals away just yet. prepare another water change and wait and see.
tanks don't just crash. there is something that happens to cause a mass die-off.
stray voltage, a large coral or fish failing, parameter swings, especially alk, a chemical attack (mostly leathers do this), poisoning the tank with some outside additive( what supplements/dosing?), etc.

I was going to check alk that's what I've been thinking all night but I need to pick up test kit havnt tested in a while can't find it... .. I have another 20 gallon s working its way right now... anyway to bring down alk if it is high? Never had to... if it is high wouldn't another water change hurt more

What if your alk is 2.5? To low or to high? And how do I fix it? (Sorry I hijacked your thread)

Well I tested my kh... not sure on the band I got hagen but showing high 180 I did 18 drops says acceptable lvls are 125 to 105... advice?

On the chance it's a leather coral putting out a toxin, would adding activated carbon help?

Rutrag said:
On the chance it's a leather coral putting out a toxin, would adding activated carbon help?

I I don't think it would .. I use carbon for 1 week everymonth.. on heavily populated tank maybe more so.. but I have alot of corals but I have seen 10 x more in the same setup.. and they use it less then me...

Well I tested my kh... not sure on the band I got hagen but showing high 180 I did 18 drops says acceptable lvls are 125 to 105... advice?

thats weird. my test booklet says 143-200 is normal. But 18 drops would be off the charts in my book. 125 equals 7 drops here :confused:

well anyways, if ur test says high then I would do pwc after pwc and keep an eye on it. usualy it drops by itself, but if it is way high i would considere pwc

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Well the plate corals done and my birds nest is all but white now...mushrooms are still semi closed..

well, we know now that the peppermint shrimp were only "cleaning up" the dying flesh.
ok..what did yuo doo up to 2 weeks before this, and are you still doing water changes now?
also, what lighting do you have over the tank and when did you implement it?

mr_X said:
well, we know now that the peppermint shrimp were only "cleaning up" the dying flesh.
ok..what did yuo doo up to 2 weeks before this, and are you still doing water changes now?
also, what lighting do you have over the tank and when did you implement it?

I have t5 at 54 watt bulb x 4 . Its over a 56 gallon collum .. I've come to the conclusion since I run open top.. the kids mustard spayed something that entered the tank.. fravrezze dusting spray.. who knows... I havent done s change since Wednesday ... but I will be doing on tomorrow. One thing I did change over the was switch to reef crystals but I don't think it was thar

that would be a good explanation- the fabreeze or something similar. the 4 x 54 watt t-5 fixture isn't what's bleaching things.

Back
Top Bottom