Lost ANOTHER fish... Grrrrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after my algae blenny died a couple weeks ago, came home last night to a missing anthias. I'll start here (55 FOWLR):

Params-

Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 0 (yes tank is cycled and been running for 8 months)
PH 8.0
Temp 78.9
SG 1025

Stock list-

2 mocha clowns
Tiger goby
Clown goby
6 line
Anemone
Long Spine
CUC

Recent issues-

Dead algae blenny
Dead anthias
Cyano?? (a reoccurring green/brown siphon able gunk on my sand - at first thought diatoms but has cyano characteristics- do I need to replace the 4 bulbs in my T5 HO?)

Course of action-

Preparing for a 10 gallon water change. I was going to blow off the live rock with a power head, siphon all my problem cyano, completely clean my protein skimmer and HOB filter, and?? Is there anything else to do?? Is this what i SHOULD do? I dont know if a huge cleaning is beneficial or could be disastrous? I run GFO and a sponge in my HOB, the sponge I clean weekly.

I really don't know what's going on with my tank. All the water is RODI from my LFS, I'm good about top offs... This is aggravating me.

Here's my piece. I have some very sensitive animals in my tank (anemone and long spine) that are not very tolerant of bad water, param swings, etc, so could these fish' deaths just be coincidence as my nem and urchin are seemingly doing great?

Comments, questions, suggestions? The only reason I'm not in a completely rotten mood about this is because GSP put Diaz in his place last night. I digress, and hopefully someone can help me out here!! Thanks you guys are always helpful and I hope to be sending some Thank You's to some inboxes soon!

My guess would be food. Being your tank is still somewhat new, you may not have had enough algae and/or microfauna to keep the algae blenny well fed. Anthias and very picky eaters and need to be feed multiple times each day. They are also prone to internal worms. Did you give it a PraziPro treatment before adding it to your tank?

My guess would be food. Being your tank is still somewhat new, you may not have had enough algae and/or microfauna to keep the algae blenny well fed. Anthias and very picky eaters and need to be feed multiple times each day. They are also prone to internal worms. Did you give it a PraziPro treatment before adding it to your tank?

This makes sense on a couple levels. To answer you, no I did not treat with PraziPro. I did cut back feeding because of this "cyano" issue, and fear I may have starved my anthias to death literally! Bummer now I feel terrible... 8-/

How bout the deep cleaning I'm planning on? Still go for it?

Back
Top Bottom