Mimic Yellow Peel Tang Tail Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up this morning to find that my Mimic Yellow Peel Tang is missing a piece out of his tail. I am surprised, as I have never encountered any acts of aggression between any of my fish.

My question is: Can fish regenerate pieces of their tail and fins? If so, is there anything that I can do to promote the healing process? Thanks for your advice.

I had a problem with my Yellow Tang once where his tail looked all jagged. That is a whole story in itself, but I was able to heal him using Selcon and Garlic extract pre-soaked in food. It took a while, but his tail came back almost perfectly. Also, keep an eye on your Horseshoe Crab. He may be the suspect there.

Mike

My Clown had a bite out of his tail last night. Tonight it is completely healed. Fish have amazing healing powers.

yes it will grow back with good water quality, could be aggression or tail / fin rot which is bacterial - either way keep up on water changes (reduce doc ) to keep bacteria at bay

Yup, my angel took off one of my Heni's banner a week ago, its already growing back.
Just do what is explained above and no worries.

Thanks for everone's input. Although things look pretty ugly now, my water quality is pristine, and I am hopeful that my fish will regain his health. There is a good chunk gone fron the middle of the tail, but hopefully it will reurn. Again, thanks for your support.

srgetz said:
yes it will grow back with good water quality, could be aggression or tail / fin rot which is bacterial - either way keep up on water changes (reduce doc ) to keep bacteria at bay

If it is bacterial what is a good treatment? I have a clown that seems to have damaged fins all of a sudden but I dont really see any serious aggression between him and the other fish.

As long as you keep up with water changes and be sure of the highest water quality, treatment for minor wounds is usually not needed. Keeping the DOC as low as possible will starve bacteria and not allow it to get a foothold.

Also be sure foods are fortified with a good vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym].

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom