more ich questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
sorry, more ick questions. while i was wating for my parts to arrive to setup the QT, the ick has cleared up on the clown goby. i know it is not gone, but should i wait and see if it shows itself again to treat. i think the last occurance may have been stress from a lot of activity in the tank
( adding rock and rearranging) the clown goby did not like that. the whole week my goby showed ick, the ocellaris never showed any signs.

also just to be sure, the goby had clear / tan cysts on him. they were slightly elongated and extended from his body. i gave him a fresh water dip to at lest try to get rid of them while waiting for the QT and they did not come off. is this ick?

sorry for the long post

steve r

If it is Ich you still have it in the tank. You may want to check this article for more information and pictures of a heavily infested fish. Ich looks like a grain of white rice on a fish, just smaller. The author of the article also claims that FW dips are ineffective (based on other research).

"Stress and poor water conditions do not cause marine "Ich", although they will lower a fish's resistance to infection and impair their immune system. If C. irritans is not present in a tank, it doesn't matter what how stressed a fish may be, it cannot get infected. In a tank where parasites are present, stressed fish are more likely to show signs of "Ich" before more healthy fish, but the healthy fish are just as likely to become infected as the numbers of parasites increase. Those fish species that are less susceptible to "Ich" or those individuals that have an acquired immunity, may show no signs and may not get infected. "

The only way to get rid of Ich is to remove all fish from the display tank and treat them. I prefer hyposalinity unless the outbreak is severe. The display tanks should remain free of fish for 6 weeks or more, which is the amount of time you want to treat (4 weeks) and watch (2 weeks) your fish in QT before putting them back in the tank.

just wanted to be sure. i am going to remove the fish for 8 weeks and treat them in a QT tank. just waiting for the last couple items to arrive.

thanks for the good info
steve

Back
Top Bottom