My Bubble Tip Anemone keeps trying to commit suicide?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I have a 34 gallon cube that I have had up and running for several months. This tank was an upgrade from another cube where everything was transferred to the larger tank.

I have had a green bubble tip for the last two weeks and it has been a challenge to say the least. I originally acclimated and placed him into the tank and she promptly went for a shady spot under a ledge. She move around once or twice and then seemed to settle where she seemed happy. Well, then, the BTA started to sink deeper into a crevice and lock on with her foot on an underside of a rock. There she stayed and shriveling up more each day, until I finally decided I must intervene. Her "Foot" locked firmly in place, I flipped the rock to which she is attached and flipped it upside down and exposed her to light. The BTA immediately puffed up and seemed to do much better for the last week. Today, the BTA looked as healthy as I've seen, vibrant green color, foot pink and full holding on and then...... just this evening it was time for her to take another walk. Ugh.

My little BTA moved from the ledge and found another crevice where its sunk again, deep within the rock. What's up with this little guy? Currently its shrivled a little but is in more of a vertical position, but what gives. My water parameters have been spot on throughout, I regularly do water changes and everything else is thriving. I know that anemones can be sensitive, and will move around at will until they find their "Happy Place," but mine has now, not once, but twice decided to move to an underside of a rock to the dark, where it does not thrive.

Any ideas? I know patience is key and I'm willing to move rocks around and keep working to keep this little guy alive, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I can see why people say these things are such a challenge to keep!

Water tested today:

pH 8.33
Nit 0
Am 0
Nitrates 0

LED Lighting Ecotech Radion. Healthy inhabitants include percula clown, purple firefish, two chromi's, and one very small yellow goby. I have red and blue mushrooms, a orange plate coral, toadstool mushroom, frogspawn, bubble coral, small acan, two small colonies of polyps, a tree leather, a blue clam, and a duncan.

Again, thank you for your time!

Mike

How old is tank a few months is kinda young for a anemone ....do any of the clowns host it

Thanks for your responses.

The tank all in all has been up and running for close to a year now. I know the minimum tank should have 6 months, and although I have never been known for my patience, I am beginning to see why it pays off in the long run with this hobby.

A quick update. The BTA has found his way "Back into the light," and has again taken hold with his foot. It looks healthy, colorful, and active. Time will tell to see if he decides to take a dive into the next crevice.

Taking Mr. X's thought's to heart, I went into the program of my LED's and decreased the intensity. Hopefully enough to put it into its comfort zone!

Thanks again everyone. I'm committed, so I'll just keep plugging away and doing my best!

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom