My Yellow Tang is trying to eat my Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blancoh2o

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:?:
Has anyone ever had theirs do the same thing? I thought that Yellow Tangs were herbavores. Well, if that is the case, mine is not typical. I guess I can keep some seaweed around all the time as a diversion. Other than being concerned about feeding the Tang a very expensive Shrimp dinner, the Shrimp are not going to be able to eat parasites from the Tang.

Thanks in advance,

Never heard of this before?

BTW, you should keep seaweed around all the time anyway for the fish to nibble on all day. Tangs require a constant food source to graze on.

The tang actually killed the shrimp :?: or is it chasing it relentlessly :?:

Cheers
Steve

He didn't kill them, but has them hiding under the rocks to the point they don't want to come out. He actually bit off part of the antenas. I will let you know what happens next.

BTW, I do keep seaweed in the tank most of the day for the Tang.

Funny thing about cleaner shrimp is they don't always clean 8O , especially if they been in captive care for awhile. The tang is most likely getting frustrated with the shrimp not performing it's duty. Yellow tangs and regal tangs have a habit of being a little "needy" in this regard so it may just take some time for it to settle down a bit.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Funny thing about cleaner shrimp is they don't always clean 8O

Yeah, my 2 skunk cleaners and my fire cleaner are pretty much worthless in this department. Wish they would clean somebody.

My shrimp cleans the fish like a madman until about 3 days prior to molt.. then he just shuts down for about a week. I would just wait a few days and see if they molt then it will take about another 2 fo him to get down to doing his business. I also find not feeding the shrimp (I give um a small piece of krill every few days) can often stir up thier appite for eating parasites as well. Also when not feeding them you kinda have to not feed the fish or just put small amounts of flake on the top of the water so the fish can get it and there is nothing for the shrimp. As for your Blood red.. yeah mine is worthless as well. The tang probably wants cleaned and the shrimp really has no incentive to clean him right now.

Doan

Doan

Back
Top Bottom