Need some help...... things dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some of you might remember me... I've been gone for a while.....

The tank hasn't changed much and I'm going to update my profile as soon as I write this....

Some of my xenia which has been doing very well since it went in the tank a few months ago, is starting to die.... it's turning white and then shriveling up.... I've also noticed that my toadstool hasn't opened very good in a few weeks and today I noticed my devil's hand isn't opened up very well either.....

This has all come about the same time that I've noticed an outbreak of cyano beyond what I have normally seen in the tank.....

So....... is the cyano causing this???? the only other change to the tank was a water change a week ago and it was days before I ever saw any problems with the xenia

All water params are normal...... nitrates less than 10 ppm.... all other corals including open brain, star polyps, shrooms, zoos doing well......

TIA for the help..........

not yet...... should that be a problem with macros and a mangrove in the fuge ?????

Hey comfort, welcome back. The only time I've had Xenia shrivel up (and it was Xenia elongata, the pink pulsing was fine) was when my trates hit 25. Other than that I haven't had a problem keeping it. Scratch that. Something caused a few stalks to rot from the inside. I cut those down and now the spots where they were are growing back healthy as ever.

Good luck. They're a pretty finicky coral sometimes.

Hmmm..... yeah it's strange.... mine usually shrivles up for a while after a water change... but this time it's turning white and shriveling up quickly..... and what looks like for good...... some of it is doing just fine though.......

Welcome back! I noticed that my leathers and xenia don't look as good when my phosphates are high. I got a phosban reactor 2 days ago, and my leathers, mushrooms and xenia are already happier. Check your phosphates. That is probably the problem.

post your po4 and nitrates? I had the same issue in my 75 over the last 3 or 4 months. I finally got a good po4 kit and WOW it was high. Ran some Seachem po4 spnge (DONT USE THIS PRODUCT) and while the xenia are now much happier, I have apparently introduced some aluminum via the use of the crappy Seachem product. Also check your alk, if it sags could also cause xenia to pulse less. Remember your shooting for less than .003ppm PO4.

GL!

Definitely check phosphates since you're having cyano blooms. phosphates are probably the culprit for all your problems, but we can't rule out nitrate problems either.

Nitrates are good.... close to 5 ppm...... I don't have a kit for the phos.... will get one today.... any good recommendations for reducing the phosphates ?????

Ok.... so I tested phos..... it's between .2 and .5 ..... everything else is still fine... I bought some Phos X ..... guess it soaks up the phosphate... but mine doesn't seem that high does it ???????

Zero is ideal. Over 2ppm can cause you trouble IMO. Algae blooms, maybe coral not doing well. Mine crept up to 4-5 ppm and 3 newer corals died. The existing ones made it thru. May be losing a hammer.

Back
Top Bottom