Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM   #11
steve-s

Never used the Mydor test kit, actually never heard of the brand before but the reading sounds much better.

As far as continuing with the treatment, that's your call. Could be the clown had something or nothing. You would be the best judge of that in the long term. Be sure to watch the clown for adverse affects and do not exceed two weeks with this stuff. Be sure to test the copper level 2x daily.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-21-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, will do.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve, Don't know if you're still checking this thread, but... Nemo is doing well. He's eating greedily and swimming around. He's being treated with the maracyn and the copper levels are still good, I've been checking them daily.

Question: I was going to leave him in QT for 21 days as recommended. I'm wondering about when I put him back in main. I'm concerned he'll be harassed as the new fish, don't know if he'll be rememered and I'm concerned there may still be parasites in the main tank.

The cromises, the regal tang and mandarin are fine so far. The problem is I lost the royal gramma and the two bangaiis. I know the bangaiis had the same symptoms before they died and I suspect they brought in parasites which sparked this mess.

Is there anything I can do to treat the main tank? It has lots of inverts so I can't use copper. Should I just not worry about it and put Nemo back when the time comes and just watch him?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
steve-s

There is nothing you can do to treat the main tank. If a parasite is suspected, removing all the fish would be the best prospect. Only by removing the host can you remedy the problem in the main display.

As far as the duration of the copper treatment, I would definately not suggest the 21 days, 14 at the most. Copper is not well tolerated by clown species over the long term. I would also suggest in future you look for Cupramine as a copper treatment rather than chelates.

When returning the clown, be sure it is fat and healthy first. Once your ready, add the clown back first thing in the AM and leave the lights off for the first few hours and allow only ambient light (or moonlights) so the clown can adjust. After a few hours turn on only the actinic if you have that option. The less bright light used the lower the aggression will be from the other inhabitants. Still not a guarantee but worth the effort.

How was the clown received by the community when itroduced previously? I would not expect it to be much different this time around.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I'll take the suggestions on re-introducing Nemo. I went back and re-read this thread, I'm glad I did, I see that you mentioned 14 days for chelated and 21 for cupramine. I will add the filter pad with charcoal after the 14 days and do a water change to get rid of the copper.

When I set up my 55G, Nemo was one of the original inhabitants, he was from the 15G tank I got from a friend. All the fish in the 55G now were added after Nemo. We'll just take is slow and I'll do it on a day when I'm home to watch them. I do have the option for actinic only, so I'll do that.

Today was the last antibiotic treatment, yippee! I really hate medicating fish, I always worry about how they'll handle it.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve,

Nemo is back in the main tank. It took him about 20 minutes of just dog-paddling in one spot to decide he was back home. He found his favorite cave and he's back in the swing of things. He came up this morning to eat with the group and they seem to have remembered him just fine.

Thanks again, this is a big deal for me, my first sick fish that I treated and who recovered!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
steve-s

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com