Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nemo's worse. The skin on his head looks like it's falling off. One of my peppermint shrimp also died last night. The prams are good. Any clue whats going on.
Livestock= 2 A.p clownfish (mated pair)(might be false)
1 Royal Gramma
2 Red leg hermits
2 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Feather Duster
2 Oyster Cluster
1 Turbo Snail

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pictures of Nemo

These are alittle blurry, but the skin is flaking of in the spots that are circled. And I found out that a poker buddy (yes the same one who brought the other clown) put a dose of Stop Parasites in the tank, because he thought he seen white spots on the Gramma. Could this be the problem?Click image for larger version

Name:	sick clown 004 spots.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	15735Click image for larger version

Name:	sick clown 005 spots.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	15736Click image for larger version

Name:	sick clown 006 spots.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	15737

Old 10-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... looking at the info regarding "Stop Parasites", I see this:

This product will not cause harm to life forms unless pH monitoring is ignored. If pH is going to drop, it will immediately after application.

Since your friend did you the favor of dosing your main tank with meds (!!), did he/she bother to monitor pH after they dosed? I notice in your water parameter list that your "before water change" pH was 7.8 and after it was 8.2.

Just guessing, but perhaps the pH drastically dropped after the meds were put in which stressed the fish. Then the drastic increase in salinity occurred, which kind of added insult to injury.

Can't really see the flaky areas with those pictures, but the fish looks healthy otherwise. I really think it's just a stress induced thing that the fish has to work through itself. Kind of like us getting a flu... once it takes hold you just have to ride it out and hope you don't get some secondary infection along the way.

[Edit: regarding the shrimp - are you sure you're just not seeing a molt? If it truly is dead, then it could be from the same issues as above... sudden change in parameters.]
Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If it was my tank I would immediately do 25% PWC`s every few days. This should get everything where it needs to be and should help your fish out. Just so you know for future references Rule no. 1 is never treat your main tank for disease. Remove the fish into a QT and treat.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Well... looking at the info regarding "Stop Parasites", I see this:

This product will not cause harm to life forms unless pH monitoring is ignored. If pH is going to drop, it will immediately after application.

Since your friend did you the favor of dosing your main tank with meds (!!), did he/she bother to monitor pH after they dosed?

[Edit: regarding the shrimp - are you sure you're just not seeing a molt? If it truly is dead, then it could be from the same issues as above... sudden change in parameters.]
According to him, he only dosed the tank and didn't check anything afterwards. My Wife has forbidden him to touch the "HER" tank again. Nemo died about an hour after I posted. Now the female is starting to act the same way, yesterday she went nuts over mysis shrimp, today she's not eating. And yes the shrimp was dead, but the other 2 and the snails seem fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
If it was my tank I would immediately do 25% PWC`s every few days. This should get everything where it needs to be and should help your fish out. Just so you know for future references Rule no. 1 is never treat your main tank for disease. Remove the fish into a QT and treat.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
These fish had just came out of the QT tank. A buddy treated the tank, while I was getting snacks for our card game. He was going to buy her a new fish, but I told him to just get her a gift card if he wanted to replace it.

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com