Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rokcrawla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I just started cycling my first saltwater tank and have a few questions.

-Can I use sand from the beach? (I have some crushed coral now but I kind of want sand because I think it looks better)

-What are some relatively easy corals to keep, and could I realistically expect to keep them alive as a novice, and what additional equipment would I need?

-Can someone please post a piture of a seaclone protein skimmer setup? I have one but dont know how to hook it up (came with the tank I got at a garage sale). Im pretty mechanically able but without an understanding of what it is supposed to do I cant make it do it.

-What testing equipment do I need vs. what would be fine to just take samples in to the pet store to have done?

-Are there any must have water treaments I should keep on hand?

-What exactly is liverock?

-Any tips to help with general setup/maintanance? Ive done freshwater with good luck but this seems a bit more complicated.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

no you cant use sand from the beach. Button Polyp -

Easy corals
Colony Polyp - Yellow Colony Polyp - \
Hairy Mushroom Coral -
Bullseye Mushroom Coral -
Green Fluorescent Mushroom Coral -

I don't have a seaclone, but could you post a pic? There are past threads about how to tweek your seaclone skimmer. Skimmers basically pull water in a chamber and inject air in it. This creates a foam where Junk rises into a collection cup. hth
The basic test kit should include Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and copper if you need to treat a sick fish.
There are many good articles in the Articles section about getting starte. The getting started forum has many good posts that may also answer your questions.

how far away is your fish store because if its more than 20 minutes away the sample will defect

Seaclone has a website with faq and troublshooting tips. Also Drsfostersmith.com has a picture of the skimmer set up on a tank.

Back
Top Bottom