open brain slip showing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
we received an open brain about 2 months ago when we purchased another reefers tank. I wanted to get rid of it as soon as it was placed in our tank but it attached itself to a chunk of lr, and after asking a few questions on a few forums decided that it would be allright in our tank. now after all this time it is receding up the skeleton under it. I am somewhat sure that it is not the light, all of our water parameters are where they need to be, everything else in the tank is doing well. our phosphate level went up a touch when I introduced the corals from the other tank into our 120g but after a few months with phos-ban it is down to .02ppm. well as long as I have the log book out here are the other paramaters as of 06-17-04
ph 8.2
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
amonia .25
salininty 34ppm
calcium 450ppm
alk. 9.8
temp. 79.8f
has this shrinking brain thing happened to anyone else?
does anyone know what could be causing it?

With LPS there can be a few causes. Directed water flow, placement causing irritation or too close to a nearby coral, water parameters or chem and lighting.

My guess is the ammonia reading is not accurate considering the NO2 and NO3 unless you've been using antibiotics. The Chem seems fine except the Ca is a tad high although nothing to get alarmed about. So that narrows it down a bit.

I would think it's actually a placement issues. Either directed luminar flow or another coral. If you can post a pic of the recession and the general area the coral is in that would help. Moving it off the rock where it has attached may be a challenge but it does seem like the best option without more info. These types of corals often start out attached to rocks but as the mature they release from the rock structures to dwell on the sand.

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve, good call I also added a wave timer and switched a few power heads around. The brain was in direct light current from a canister filter I moved the flow we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom