Pearlscale Btfy is scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few days ago I saw my pearlscale scratching on the rocks. Then just today I saw my lionfish doing it to. My ph is 7.8 and my ALK is low also. Could this be the problem or am I looking at something eles. They are eating fine.

Normally flashing/scratching is an indicator of a parasite. Could possibly be ich.

may have to get one. Check them early in the AM for spots. Before the lights come on. They seem to be most visible then.

He is still scratching, but my lion is not. I see no spots on either of them sooo what now?

Is your PH up now? Keep high water quality high and keep an eye on them for now.
Do you have a qt tank just in case?

No qt tank yet, but plan too soon..I was wondering if i could treat the main tank?

I was wondering if i could treat the main tank?
Not with meds, would damage your LR and any inverts you may have. I wouldn't even suggest hypo with all that rock.
Did you get that PH up? That could be irritating him.

Just checked again today. The ph is 8.1 and the alk is 9.8. I have not seen any spots on him in the morning, but he is still flashing. So i dont know what to do. The only thing he is eating is the algea on the rocks and glass. I put some krill in there for the lionfish and he went after that, but spit it back out.

If it were me, I would get that qt tank and have it standing by ready.
If the fish stop eating that usually means something is going on.
Besides you will them have a qt for future fish.

Well its been 2+ weeks now. He is still scratching but not as often. And the only thing he is eating is stuff of the rocks. I have tryed krill, formula 2 frozem, formula 1 pellets, frozen mysis shrimp, and live brine. He does not touch nothing. I dont know whateles to do.

Try soaking his food in garlic juice. It has been known to spur a feeding response.

Is the fish in the QT being treated or still in the main?

Cheers
Steve

No he is still in the main tank. Im getting a qt this weekend, but im not sure he has ich. No spots what so ever. And my lion is not flashing

Not having spots does not mean the absence of parasites but conversely flashing does not automatically imply there is one either.

Have you noticed anything else aside from the occassional scratching and poor response to prepared foods? Unusual lines, white patch's, excess slime, cloudy appearance, greying eyes, red spots, fin rot, abnormal swimming patterns and so on?

Could you also post all your water specs in detail?

Cheers
Steve

No nothing. He just swims around looking for food on the rock. All of my water specs are ph 8.2 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 and my alk is good. There is no slime or any other spots. Just flashing.

Back
Top Bottom