peppermint shrimp always dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe ringbloom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had my tank set up for 6 months now have an apptasia problem every now and then ieverytime i buy a peppermint shrimp it dies after about 2 weeks all of my other inverts are fine i even have a pistol shrimp for 3 months now emerald crab and ten hermits none have ever died i add iodine 1 drop a week my tank is a 45 gallon my parameters are 77.5 temp
1.205 salinitty
ph 8.2
alk 7.9
nitrate 10-20
nitrite 0
amm 0
ca 490
mg 1320
the shrimp usally eats all the small apptasias before it dies but i cant get the big one to die i have even tried joe juice. i have noticed the shrimp sometimess will eat some of the frozen mysis when i feed the fish.

Please recheck your spg...for inverts, it should be more in the area of at least 1.024.....they don't do as well at lower readings, and I think you meant to put a zero in there.

Hope this helps a little.

Joe, forgot to ask if you are testing for iodine? You shouldn't have to add iodine if you are doing regular PWC's...there is enough in the salt to supplement the shrimp unless a test shows that iodine is lacking in your system.

my buddy is having a similar problem.. turns out that he dumped some ( a very small amount) of water that contained copper... his readings were on the very bottom end of the chart... his mithrax his hermits and his snails are all doing fine... but any time he added peppermints or cleaners... dead.. who knows maybe youve got traces of copper?

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom