Perculiar Percula...Any Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a pair of juvey Perculas in my reef tank. They are the only two fish in the tank and have done well for over a month now. One of them has all fins full all the time, however the other has all of its fins flat against its body, breathes heavily, its fins are somewhat ratty, and I have caught it over the last several nights breifly laying on the bottom. I am afraid the fish is sick, however its appetite is good, it moves throughout the tank well both top and bottom. Am I paranoid? If not anyone have some info that I may be able to research further?

Thanks

Might possibley be brooklynella hostillis or C. irritans aka ich. Does the clown show any sign of a "mucus" build up on the body aside from the fin damage and laboured breathing? How's the ph and surface water movement? Any visible white spots on the body?

FWIW, the signs could also be from the two becoming "aquainted" as clowns will scuffle with each other as they establish dominance in the process of becoming a mated pair. Definately keep an eye on it and post back about the body slime and spots.

Brisc0 said:
I have caught it over the last several nights breifly laying on the bottom
If this behavour is primarily after lights out, it is not really cause for concern as they will often sleep on the sand bed until they "adopt" something else.

Cheers
Steve

Okay, the fish in question has always been a more dull orange than its counterpart, however rather than a spot, I notice more of a whole body "sheen" or coating perhaps that is white-ish in color while its under the moon-lite tonight. Again, its not dotted spotes, more a whole body coating, but it is very subtle and could just be my imagination.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Oh yea, if this is an illness, I have no means of quarantine. I setup this 30 gallon tank as a "test" to see if I like the hobby, I have since ordered a 105G tank and I plan to Xfer these guys in about 6 weeks and then use this 30 for quarantine. So I may be in a pickle, any advice?

This particular part makes me think it is either velvet, Amyloodinium ocellatum or Brooklynella hostilis it's hard to be possitive.
Brisc0 said:
however rather than a spot, I notice more of a whole body "sheen" or coating perhaps that is white-ish in color while its under the moon-lite tonight. Again, its not dotted spotes, more a whole body coating.
You cannot treat either without a QT really no matter which it is. It does sounds like one of the two though. Is there any LR or other inverts in the 30 gal now? If not, it can still be an effective treatment zone for hyposalinity since it will not remain as the main tank. Be very careful though, hyposalinity will kill everything except for the fish and beneficial bacteria. If there are any mobile/sessile inverts or LR, then you cannot use this treatment. Please provide some additional details about the 30 gal and it's inhabitants.

Brisc0 said:
the fish in question has always been a more dull orange than its counterpart
Are you sure these are both the same species of clown or was one WC and the other TR?

Cheers
Steve

Perculiar Percula

The 30 gallon has 20 pounds of LR, and a host of small coral and inverts, so Hypo sal is out. These clowns are TR, however I have suspected from day one that they are different speicies because the healthy one is a very intense orange while the other is a more burnt orange, however these are the first two marine fish I have kept so my uncertainty is pretty high. I don't know how attachments work on this site, but I am leaving a picture of the two of them side by side for your review if possible.

As a side note, looking in the tank now the fish in question is laying on the bottom more so now than ever while the other swims just above him. I don't think the fish will last the night, however I have thought that for 3 days now... Again my thanks for your help.

I cannot be sure due to the shadowing and not being able to clearly see the smaller clown but I do think they could be different. The larger looks to me like an ocellaris and the smaller a true percula but as I said I cannot be 100% sure.

Hyposalinity is definately out for the 30 gal but you still need to treat them somehow. If the clown is infected, the other will surely catch the same thing soon. Even if you can buy a small rubbermaid container, corner sponge filter and heater; there is still hope. The QT does not need to be anything fancy or an actual fishtank, just something sterile and SW safe that can hold the fish comfortabley. You can then use the hypo treatment.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom