Plastic tub for hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've decided to take action against the dreaded marine ich. Yesterday my 3 blue reef chromis showed plenty of white spots which I presume to be ich. The hippo tang that my neighbor donated is the known cause and has had signs of it on and off. I ordered a sponge filter to use as biological filtration for a 25-30 gallon tub I have. Hypo salinity is going to be the way I go and is this enough room for 1 tang, 3 chromis, 1 clown, 1 valentini puffer? I will put sponge in sump for 4 weeks to get bio media into it. After this addition of PVC will go into tub and ill be good to go, I hope. If there's anything I'm missing please give input because I want to end this the first time. Thanks for everyone's advice.

I've decided to take action against the dreaded marine ich. Yesterday my 3 blue reef chromis showed plenty of white spots which I presume to be ich. The hippo tang that my neighbor donated is the known cause and has had signs of it on and off. I ordered a sponge filter to use as biological filtration for a 25-30 gallon tub I have. Hypo salinity is going to be the way I go. is this enough room for 1 tang, 3 chromis, 1 clown, 1 valentini puffer? I will put sponge filter in sump for 4 weeks to get bio media into it. After this, addition of PVC will go into tub and ill be good to go, I hope. If there's anything I'm missing please give input because I want to end this the first time. What is the schedule for treating ich with hyposalinity like?Thanks for everyone's advice.

Slowly drop salinity at a rate of not more than 0.003 SG per day. Once at 1.009 SG, keep it there until 3 weeks after last sign of ick. Then slowly raise salinity at the same rate.

As your salinity drops, most of your BB will die so keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites. Cheato may be able to handle hypo treatments and throwing some in there may help with those levels. But if it starts to discolor in any way remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to move fish into hospital "tank" because I was under impression that hypo was not for use in display tank

I understand that. I just mentioned the BB because you said you were populating a bio sponge to put in there. Not much point as the BB will mostly die during the treatment.

But other than the waiting 4 weeks for the sponge BB to build (don't bother), you seem to be on the right track to treat the ick.

Good luck

Oh I see. Sorry for the misinterpretation, I understand what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom