Please help- ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKemp712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in desperate need of help. I bought a 120G tank that came with a couple fish, when I looked at the tank it seemed that all the fish were healthy and happy but after getting the tank home and put back together I believe I may have stirred up ich that was previously in the sand. I immediately put my fish that came with the tank in my QT tank and attempted to treat them with copper. I had horrible luck and lost two fish, so I let the copper dissolve from the water, kept salinity normal for a couple days in hopes of helping the fish not stress and put them into hyposalinity. I kept them in hyposalinity for 4 weeks after the last spot went away and put them back in my 120G main tank. Within 4 days there started to be spots again. I don't know what to do now, I have a cortez sting ray, that lives in my main tank along with all the infected fish. Does anyone have ideas on how to help me?
I heard it may be benificial to scrap the live sand in the tank but my stingray needs it.
All my levels are normal.
Thanks,
Lindsey

I just went through a difficult time with ick as well. I lost all 4 of my fish, so saddening. I let the tank sit fallow for over a month, but the parasite can live for about 6 weeks with no host!

Hypo for 6-8 wks. That is the most natural way to do it and should take care of it. Not sure if you can hypo a ray though...

I have ich right now also. I've read that leaving your dt fallow for 10 weeks is the best way. I'm treating my fish in hypo for 6 weeks and staying fallow for 10 weeks.

I have ich right now also. I've read that leaving your dt fallow for 10 weeks is the best way. I'm treating my fish in hypo for 6 weeks and staying fallow for 10 weeks.

Fallowing for 10 weeks eradicates all forms of ich, but 8 weeks does 99% if i remember correctly? Couldnt hurt though.

It's better to be safe then sorry. A couple more weeks to be sure is better then chancing it and having to start from the beginning IMO

Back
Top Bottom