Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Please help- ich

I am in desperate need of help. I bought a 120G tank that came with a couple fish, when I looked at the tank it seemed that all the fish were healthy and happy but after getting the tank home and put back together I believe I may have stirred up ich that was previously in the sand. I immediately put my fish that came with the tank in my QT tank and attempted to treat them with copper. I had horrible luck and lost two fish, so I let the copper dissolve from the water, kept salinity normal for a couple days in hopes of helping the fish not stress and put them into hyposalinity. I kept them in hyposalinity for 4 weeks after the last spot went away and put them back in my 120G main tank. Within 4 days there started to be spots again. I don't know what to do now, I have a cortez sting ray, that lives in my main tank along with all the infected fish. Does anyone have ideas on how to help me?
I heard it may be benificial to scrap the live sand in the tank but my stingray needs it.
All my levels are normal.
Thanks,
Lindsey

Old 01-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just went through a difficult time with ick as well. I lost all 4 of my fish, so saddening. I let the tank sit fallow for over a month, but the parasite can live for about 6 weeks with no host!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hypo for 6-8 wks. That is the most natural way to do it and should take care of it. Not sure if you can hypo a ray though...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

Rays cant get ich, put the others in QT, treat, and leave the ray in the DT.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have ich right now also. I've read that leaving your dt fallow for 10 weeks is the best way. I'm treating my fish in hypo for 6 weeks and staying fallow for 10 weeks.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
I have ich right now also. I've read that leaving your dt fallow for 10 weeks is the best way. I'm treating my fish in hypo for 6 weeks and staying fallow for 10 weeks.
Fallowing for 10 weeks eradicates all forms of ich, but 8 weeks does 99% if i remember correctly? Couldnt hurt though.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's better to be safe then sorry. A couple more weeks to be sure is better then chancing it and having to start from the beginning IMO
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
It's better to be safe then sorry. A couple more weeks to be sure is better then chancing it and having to start from the beginning IMO
Agreed.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really sucks having a tank with no fish in it. I'm about a month in right now
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All you need to know about it and how to treat it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com