Please help....my seahorses are sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iluvseahorses

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got home about an hour ago with my new seahorses (captive bred). The lfs was 3hrs away and by the time I got home with them....one was laying on the bottom of the bag very stressed. I acclimated for only 20 minutes and called the lfs to tell them what was happening and they said to go ahead and put them in my tank because the ammonia and levels are probably high in the bag of water. So I put them in feeling they did not get the proper acclimation and now they are both laying around on the bottom barely moving much at all. What can I do to save them?

Welcome to the site!
I can't help you other than make sure your water is in pristine condition.
I'll move this to the SW sick fish section, where you will get some great advice.

I dont think you can do much for them right now. They do need slow acclimation. You`ll need to hope for the best. They have been stressed alot. Taking them out will stress them even more. I`m hoping all goes well.

I am sure praying for them with you....I have always been totally captivated by seahorses. They are beautiful little creatures! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I have a hard time believing that 3hrs in a properly sealed bag is going to exhibit major amounts of NH3. Did you test their water once opened? Was it excessively hot during the car ride (kept in cooler?)? What is the temp of your tank? You can add extra oxygenation by adding rigid airline tubing, which should create larger bubbles for agitation without overly affecting the horses.

My seahorses are doing great now! I am so relieved!!! They are swimming about trying out all of the hitching posts available and eating very well now. Maybe it is normal for them to react the way they did being stressed while transfered...I dont know....this is my first pair. But I am excited that they are better now.

They were tranported in a bag, down in a cooler with other bags filled with air to keep them in place. I did not test the water in their bag. My tank temp is 74.

Thanks for all of your prayers! I am posting some pics in a little while!!!

pics of Stetson and Star

I am so thankful they are much better now!

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 93
They look great. I had some for a year. Just could not get them to live more than a couple months.

Yes certainly let us know how they do! I've wanted seahorses for about 20 years. Now I have a SW I always thought about it after some more experience. I hear if you can get them to eat frozen they tend to live longer... what are yours eating? :)

glad they are doing well for you. I would do some research on the common sea horse illness because i have heard (from my brother who keeps them) that if they get sick they need attention in a hurry. They look great and are very cool animals.

Ohhh they are beautiful, and I am so glad you had a good outcome with them. I have always admired seahorses and wanted a pair, but being new to saltwater/reef tanks...I dont feel just too comfortable haviong them yet, and sure wouldnt want to do anything to put there lives in jeporady. Any helpful hints on us wanting them??

Back
Top Bottom