Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Any idea when/what cicumstances will determine this is ich?
Not sure I understand the question.
It is sometimes easy to diagnose and sometimes it's hards. Thats why I asked for a pic.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just meant at what point if you were me would you say "Ok, this is ich, lets get them in there"? I'm waiting for the white spot to multiply, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do. I am just going with my gut here.

Just so I'm prepared... I've seen a number of treatment names thrown around here: Formalin, Malachite Green, Quick Cure, Cupramine Copper Treatment. What is the most effective?

DJ

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a clown with a fuzzy cotton ball on it. It has since gone to fishy-heaven in the sky, but here's my post with pictures: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=39092&start=0

It wasn't Ick in my case, but that didn't help her any. Good luck.

Also, Ick is cyclic. It will look like it went away and then come back with a vengance, over and over again.

HTH.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best IMO. If you use hypo (easiest on the fish) you would need a refratometer to measure SPG, swing arm hydrometers are too innacurate.
If you use Cupramine (or any copper) you will need the associated copper test kit.
Quote:
I just meant at what point if you were me would you say "Ok, this is ich, lets get them in there"? I'm waiting for the white spot to multiply, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do. I am just going with my gut here.
Ya its kinda with the gut, unless its a huge outbreak. But catching it early is certainly desired.
Phyl makes a good point, if the spots dissapear in a couple of days and come back again, then you know for sure.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I had a clown with a fuzzy cotton ball on it. It has since gone to fishy-heaven in the sky
Did the other clown make it? I read the story. It doesn't sound like the same thing my little guy has, but I am so sorry for your loss!

Quote:
Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best
Do both treatments take 6 weeks?

Can I use my hospital tank as the QT tank after this is done and I get a new fish? Like I said earlier, I have a yellow tang on order and I have postponed it's deliver till this is all over.

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will want to keep all fish out of your main tank for 6 weeks anyway so keep them in QT during that time. It will take 6 weeks for the ick to die off in the tank(if it is ick).

Copper treatments take 4 weeks then a 2 week observation period to be sure it is gone.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best

Do both treatments take 6 weeks?
Total fallow time is 6 weeks. You run cupramine for 3 weeks and observe. Hypo you run for 4 weeks and observe for a couple weeks.

Quote:
Can I use my hospital tank as the QT tank after this is done and I get a new fish? Like I said earlier, I have a yellow tang on order and I have postponed it's deliver till this is all over.
Sure! Used mine over and over several times. I have a little damsel in one of my 10's now that I previously used copper in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flirp0001_213.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	268  
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The other clown wasn't affected by what ever the first one had was (nor were any other fish). But he's suffering from a yet to have a positive ID "stuck to the surface syndrome" right now. I'm hoping he pulls through and becomes a normal fish soon.

Your main is supposed to remain fallow for at least 6w while the parasite dies. Anything short of that will likely produce another outbreak of ick, from what I've read (I was worried that my expired clown may have had ick so I've done a *bit* of reading ). With a "good cleaning" in between you should be able to reuse the tank. I'd be worried about putting the new fish in too soon after the end of the ick for fear that it would find its way onto your new fish in QT. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you for sure. Is that less likely to be a problem if you use cupramine?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd be worried about putting the new fish in too soon after the end of the ick for fear that it would find its way onto your new fish in QT. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you for sure. Is that less likely to be a problem if you use cupramine?
Either treatment will wipe it out. Just clean the qt tank in between uses with bleach and hot water.....no worries. Done it more than once.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

The clown still has the one white dot on his back and it seems to be getting smaller, but is not totally gone. Regardless, I am getting my hosptial/QT tank ready. I ordered everything I need from Marine Depot last night (with a 2 day rush deliver) except for the tank itself, which I will go get tomorrow.

I have a few questions should we have to rush them in to QT this weekend, when you all might not be around:

1.) Trying to decide wether to get a 10 or 20 gallon QT. I have the 2 clowns and plan on adding a yellow tang and coral beuty in the future, then that will probably be it. Would those 4 fish survive in a 10 gallon QT should they have to be treated at some point in the future?

2.) Filling up the QT with water... I establish a siphon from the show tank? Fill the QT all the way at one shot? What temp do I want the QT? I will be treating with Cupramine Copper Treatment and I ordered the copper test.

3.) Do i just move the fish over with my net? No acclimating?

4.) For the show tank - now I have just removed approx 20 gallons (almost half the tank water). I buy premade saltwater at the fish show and it is room temp. If I add it all to my 1/2 empty show tank I think they will bring the temp down. Is that OK for my LR, snails and crabs?

5.) What keeps the water parameters correct in the QT w/out LR? What type of water changes would be expected in that QT?

Sorry so long.
TIA

DJ

75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Tags
qt tank, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com