Please tell me how to set up a QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have our tank up about a month. We finished cycling and bought 2 false percs clowns about 2 weeks (don't know for sure, but I think they are tank bred). They are doing great. Eating and swimming good all over the tank. (Tank was set up with store bought salt water from LFS and water change has been done with the same).

The only other tank mates are 2 snails and about 6 small hermit crabs. There is no aggression and the percs are inseparable. Never go after each other. They eat like little pigs. We are feeding a small pinch of Tetra Marine Flakes twice a day.

Water parameters are ammonia: 0, PH 8.3, Nitrite: 0 , Nitrates: 0, temp 79F, Salinity: 1.022-1.023.

2 days ago one of the percs got this white dot on it's back. It looks like a little tiny fuzzy. It is on it's top back, right in that spot where there is no fin. He seems totally unaffected by it. No scratching or anything.

We are afraid this is ich. We would like to get prepared and put together a qt/hospital tank (are they the same thing)? What do we need? A small tank (10 or 20 gallons) a HOB filter, a heater? I have an extra MaxiJet1200 PH, should I use that or is that too much? What about a light? I don't see anyone mention that, but if he is going to be in there for 6 weeks, won't he need a light?

In the event this does spread into ich, should I put both fish in there and treat both? They are inseparable since they joined us. I can't imagine separating them for 6 weeks!

If it's not ich, how will I know? How long before the total outbreak? I just ordered a yellow tang from LiveAquaria.com (before seing this white dot) for delivery this Saturday. I am going call and postpone delivery. Will I know by next Saturday if this is a false alarm?

TIA

DJ

Get both in a qt tank asap. The sooner the better. As for as figuring out what they are I cant help much there but I know I screwed up bigtime and let my problem go to far. QT every new fish before adding to the new tank. I learned the hard way

Thank you for the article.. very helpful. However, if doesn't address lights in the QT. Any comment on that?

At what point do I decide this is ich? How long should this one dot remain on the fish before it becomes many dots? I don't want to jump the gun on this thing if I am just being obsessive.

Since I only have the 2 clowns (and some snails/crabs) what would be the drawback of treating my whole (display) tank for ich? Would it kill my snails and crabs?

The one dot looks like a mini fuzz ball, like a pill you might get on a sweater. Very tiny. Is that what the beginning stage of ich looks like?

DJ

However, if doesn't address lights in the QT. Any comment on that?
Normal room lights are fine. Just give them the normal photoperiod.
Since I only have the 2 clowns (and some snails/crabs) what would be the drawback of treating my whole (display) tank for ich?
More drawbacks than I can list here, please don't do it.
Would it kill my snails and crabs?
Without a doubt, plus most likely all your live rock.
The one dot looks like a mini fuzz ball, like a pill you might get on a sweater. Very tiny. Is that what the beginning stage of ich looks like?
It very well may be. Here is an excellent article on ich, along with a picture of an extreme case.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

OK, I am definetly setting up the hospital tank this weekend either way. I will not treat the whole tank. What about a Power Head? should I use the MaxiJet1200 or is that too much movement? Can I put the fish in as soon as I set it up?

Do I have to treat them for ich right away? :roll: Can't I wait to BE SURE this is what I have? Everything I read says it is a bunch of dots, like sand or powder. This is only ONE dot and it is not small like a grain of sand. It is like a fuzz ball or a pimple.

DJ

djmpj2 said:
OK, I am definetly setting up the hospital tank this weekend either way. I will not treat the whole tank. What about a Power Head? should I use the MaxiJet1200 or is that too much movement? Can I put the fish in as soon as I set it up?

Do I have to treat them for ich right away? :roll: Can't I wait to BE SURE this is what I have? Everything I read says it is a bunch of dots, like sand or powder. This is only ONE dot and it is not small like a grain of sand. It is like a fuzz ball or a pimple.

DJ
You can wait, but I would still get the qt tank set up so you are ready in case things start to go south. IMO, once a positive ID is made, I would treat.
You don't need a PH, a simple trickle filter would be better IMO.
Here is a picture of my 10 gallon qt tank.
HTH

Attachments

• 10gallonqt0001_439.jpg
    10gallonqt0001_439.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 129
OK, thank you for that picture! what would you consider a positve ID of itch? If the spots multiply?

No substrate in a QT?

TIA

DJ

No substrate in a QT?
Correct, if meds were used, substrate would absorb them.
As for ID, can you get us a pic? I know its a tough call sometimes.

I tired for a long time last night to get a picture, but I can't get anything but a blurry shot of the clown, which means you can't see this dot at all.

Any idea when/what cicumstances will determine this is ich?

DJ

Any idea when/what cicumstances will determine this is ich?
Not sure I understand the question. :?:
It is sometimes easy to diagnose and sometimes it's hards. Thats why I asked for a pic.

I just meant at what point if you were me would you say "Ok, this is ich, lets get them in there"? I'm waiting for the white spot to multiply, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do. I am just going with my gut here.

Just so I'm prepared... I've seen a number of treatment names thrown around here: Formalin, Malachite Green, Quick Cure, Cupramine Copper Treatment. What is the most effective?

DJ

I had a clown with a fuzzy cotton ball on it. It has since gone to fishy-heaven in the sky, but here's my post with pictures: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39092&start=0

It wasn't Ick in my case, but that didn't help her any. Good luck.

Also, Ick is cyclic. It will look like it went away and then come back with a vengance, over and over again.

HTH.

Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best IMO. If you use hypo (easiest on the fish) you would need a refratometer to measure SPG, swing arm hydrometers are too innacurate.
If you use Cupramine (or any copper) you will need the associated copper test kit.
I just meant at what point if you were me would you say "Ok, this is ich, lets get them in there"? I'm waiting for the white spot to multiply, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do. I am just going with my gut here.
Ya its kinda with the gut, unless its a huge outbreak. But catching it early is certainly desired.
Phyl makes a good point, if the spots dissapear in a couple of days and come back again, then you know for sure.

I had a clown with a fuzzy cotton ball on it. It has since gone to fishy-heaven in the sky

Did the other clown make it? I read the story. It doesn't sound like the same thing my little guy has, but I am so sorry for your loss!

Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best

Do both treatments take 6 weeks?

Can I use my hospital tank as the QT tank after this is done and I get a new fish? Like I said earlier, I have a yellow tang on order and I have postponed it's deliver till this is all over.

DJ

You will want to keep all fish out of your main tank for 6 weeks anyway so keep them in QT during that time. It will take 6 weeks for the ick to die off in the tank(if it is ick).

Copper treatments take 4 weeks then a 2 week observation period to be sure it is gone.

Cupramine or hyposalinity are the best

Do both treatments take 6 weeks?
Total fallow time is 6 weeks. You run cupramine for 3 weeks and observe. Hypo you run for 4 weeks and observe for a couple weeks.

Can I use my hospital tank as the QT tank after this is done and I get a new fish? Like I said earlier, I have a yellow tang on order and I have postponed it's deliver till this is all over.
Sure! :) Used mine over and over several times. I have a little damsel in one of my 10's now that I previously used copper in.

Attachments

• flirp0001_213.jpg
    flirp0001_213.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 153
The other clown wasn't affected by what ever the first one had was (nor were any other fish). But he's suffering from a yet to have a positive ID "stuck to the surface syndrome" right now. I'm hoping he pulls through and becomes a normal fish soon.

Your main is supposed to remain fallow for at least 6w while the parasite dies. Anything short of that will likely produce another outbreak of ick, from what I've read (I was worried that my expired clown may have had ick so I've done a *bit* of reading :)). With a "good cleaning" in between you should be able to reuse the tank. I'd be worried about putting the new fish in too soon after the end of the ick for fear that it would find its way onto your new fish in QT. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you for sure. Is that less likely to be a problem if you use cupramine?

I'd be worried about putting the new fish in too soon after the end of the ick for fear that it would find its way onto your new fish in QT. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you for sure. Is that less likely to be a problem if you use cupramine?
Either treatment will wipe it out. Just clean the qt tank in between uses with bleach and hot water.....no worries. Done it more than once.

The clown still has the one white dot on his back and it seems to be getting smaller, but is not totally gone. Regardless, I am getting my hosptial/QT tank ready. I ordered everything I need from Marine Depot last night (with a 2 day rush deliver) except for the tank itself, which I will go get tomorrow.

I have a few questions should we have to rush them in to QT this weekend, when you all might not be around:

1.) Trying to decide wether to get a 10 or 20 gallon QT. I have the 2 clowns and plan on adding a yellow tang and coral beuty in the future, then that will probably be it. Would those 4 fish survive in a 10 gallon QT should they have to be treated at some point in the future?

2.) Filling up the QT with water... I establish a siphon from the show tank? Fill the QT all the way at one shot? What temp do I want the QT? I will be treating with Cupramine Copper Treatment and I ordered the copper test.

3.) Do i just move the fish over with my net? No acclimating?

4.) For the show tank - now I have just removed approx 20 gallons (almost half the tank water). I buy premade saltwater at the fish show and it is room temp. If I add it all to my 1/2 empty show tank I think they will bring the temp down. Is that OK for my LR, snails and crabs?

5.) What keeps the water parameters correct in the QT w/out LR? What type of water changes would be expected in that QT?

Sorry so long.
TIA

DJ

Back
Top Bottom