Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I set it up but don't have a filter with bb on it. What do I do?

You'll need to find something. If you don't have established biological media your tank WILL cycle. Call an LFS and see if they have anything they are willing to swap (used filter for new filter for example).

How bout if I use the LR from my sump, will the meds kill the bb?

Thanks everyone! I'll go to my lfs and see whAt they could do for me....

Think about it this way... The meds we use to treat fish are "antibacterial" , anti-parasitic, etc. If you treat a tank with bacteria covered live rock with a med to kill a bacterial, fungal, parasitic infection on your fish.... The med isn't only going to kill whatever is hurting your fish. It's going to take out the stuff in your tank as well. That's why you can't treat your DT. If you have an extra amount of live rock lying around that you don't ever plan on putting back into water with inverts or other live rock... By all means use it. You may not have to treat the QT tank. After all QT's are precautionary, you don't know for sure
If your new fish are sick. But if you're putting the LR back into your tank after you QT your fish.. You're missing the point of quarantine. If you plan on leaving the QT tank running forever, then that's different. It's only ruined if the fish are sick and need to be treated. I don't use live rock in my QT/ hospital tank.

How long must I keep A filter in the sump for before it's good to throw in to the qt?

I don't really know. I let the new one sit in there about about a week (or until I remember it) with the old one before I toss the old one. It's just a guess though. I keep them there until they look nasty and then I throw in a new one. I guess if I had a nitrate issue I would have to be more diligent but we don't so it really doesn't effect our tank.

Back
Top Bottom