Quaritine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikie o

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I'm needing to setup a qt but not sure what all I need to do this has anyone got ane suggestions thanx

It is basically a tank full of water with a heater, a powerhead, and a piece of PVC. The basic QT is set up bare w/ no filtration due to the chance you might need to use copper based medications which leach into rocks and kills off bacteria that would be carried in from a used filter pad. You simply just watch the basic parameters and do water changes to keep them in line.

Thanks sniperhank I'm going to be using copper in the qt tank I have tried using garlic and oonix for ich but no result! I want add corals to my display tank so I will have to setup a qt so I can use copper treatments. Could I use an air stone in the qt for oxygen? Thanks again

Yes, an air stone or power head. Just got an Australian tusk that I am treating for iCh. We have a small rio just for copper/qt. good luck. Just keep an eye on your parameters since you have no filtration from the rocks.

And remember that the QT is for fish only if you're using a copper-based treatment (don't quarantine inverts). Make sure to not add water from the QT to the DT, like when you transfer the fish don't add the fish and the water, use a net. The QT tank doesn't have to be big and usually a 4 week time span is good. (y)

Thanks for you help guys I will be right on it

Quick hijack :) was wondering can I use a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of DT water and do quart water daily changes? Use heater and PVC tube.

Capncavey said:
Quick hijack :) was wondering can I use a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of DT water and do quart water daily changes? Use heater and PVC tube.

I wouldn't, cuz you'll want to be able to see your fish from all sides instead of just from the top of him. You want to make sure you can keep a close eye on him to see if there's any parasites on him or any kind of damage done to him. Just wait until Petco has a $1/gallon sale, and you could pick up a 5 gallon tank for the same price as a 5 gallon bucket

Ok thanks, space is concern and trying to save space. Now back to your regular scheduled program;)

Or you could go to your lfs and get a visio aquarium. All my lfs sell visio brand aquariums for $1 a gallon usually. If you want, you could buy a 10 gallon tank, then buy plexi glass from a hardware store and silicone a piece in the middle as a divider.

Back
Top Bottom