Question about damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of Yellow tail Damsels in my 90 gal tank. They are new additions(2 weeks ago). I have been finding holes in my sand bed and finally caught them taking turns pushing sand out of the corners. Is this normal(i'm assuming it is) and what are they doing? Do they like places below grade to hide? Just scratching my head a little.

Ian

If their taking turns, it sounds like they are making a "nest", you may have a mated pair displaying mating behavior.

Even with singular damsels and clowns this is fairly common behavior.

I have some damsels too and yes they do love to hide. Im not sure if its typical behavior, they love to hide behind my live rock and before i had the rock one of them would sit in the corner and push out the sand. From the ones i have i would say they're pretty shy, ive read they like places to hide and they'll come out and dart around when im not there but when i walk by they hide. Kind of annoying and i cant wait for my cycle to end to get my perculas. They really like my diy moonlight and i put in a shell and one of them took it over and is very territorial. I cant comment on the mated pair part.

Fish are like people they have their own personality. I have 2 Damsels myself in a 55gal. and the Domino dug a nice little hole under some rock...but he only sleeps there, during the day he is out strutting his stuff and chasing the yellow belly!! Seems the digging is pretty normal.

I have 5 yellow tailed damsels in my tank and in each of the four corners, they dig the sand out and sleep there at night. Check 'em out with a flashlight when the lights are all out.

Back
Top Bottom