questioning QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyOneBeat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently i have had many fish get sick and die in QT. Though i understand its better that they got sick in the QT, I've started to think maybe quarantine is the problem. I've had a long nose butterfly, yellow kole tang die, and I'm currently treating a potters angel. My PH is 8.4, nitrate is very low (color test strips) and my salinity is around 1.025. I metelyne blue (sp?) dip them before adding to the QT tank. The only fish i've had survive were added directly to the display tank. Whats going wrong??

John

Not that this is the answer... but I would use liquid test sets as opposed to the strips.... they're alot more accurate.....

Well at least whatever ailed them did not make it into your main. Lack of qt has caused a lot of problems for people in this hobby.

How do you acclimate them to the QT? Maybe the stress of the dip is doing them in, though I've never tried doing dips before myself.

Also if you qt, dips are not needed IMO. You can more easily treat them for whatever it is. Dips are very stressful and don't do very much, unless the fish is extremely infested with a parasite.

I agree with what quarryshark said.

Where are you getting your livestock from?
Mailorder or local lfs.

I've purchased from 2 lfs. All stock from one has died within weeks. All stock from the other are doing well except for 1 carpet surfer. :(

I've purchased from 2 lfs. All stock from one has died within weeks. All stock from the other are doing well except for 1 carpet surfer.
Similar experience here. A lot depends on where your LFS gets their stock from and how they care for it.
Stay away from petco type chains, many of their animals are doomed from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom