Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really Scary Toadstool, is my toadstool Dying? HELP

I bought my yellow toadstool last week, and it was ok for two days, but I noticed that when things settle on it, the yellow coloration seem to concentrate more on and around the detritus that falls on it. I thought at first it was feeding on them.

Then about a day or two later, it just started looking really bad and scary. (sorry i don't know how to put a pic of it yet, but I will describe as much as I can)

well now, a week later, it just looks like it's dying. Necrosis I would say is the best word for it. pieces of it are just coming off in big pieces, not only the top layer. This happened in most parts, especially around the edges. but where there is no chipping away, the little tentacles still manage to come out. It looks rather limp and depends on the water flow for its movements.

Now, I need to know (maybe someone maybe able to give me a better advice when i get to post a pic of it) if I should take it out and discard it before it contaminates my water. or should I wait as I have read it is a normal thing it goes through.

But believe me.. it's shedding seriously, doesnt look as pretty as when i bought it. Water parameters are intact. Calcioum and trace elements added regularly, water temperature is normal, and it is situated at the very bottom of the tank over the sand (20 inch tall tank, 2x96W PC) with an indirect flow from a maxijet 600.

Please Help.

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would give it more direct water flow to help it shed out. Then give it time, unless it starts to dissolve.

What exactly, are your water readings....how often are you doing water changes? and lastly, what additives are you using?

Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Hara, I think it's dissolving. SHould i take it out of the tank? Will it contaminate my water if I leave it there? It still gor a good piece of it left and tentacles are out on those parts.
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If it is dissolving, then yes, or else it will contaminate the tank.

Tags
dyi, dying, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com